Glass back will prevent the small cracks in iPhone 3Gs and 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve686, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Was reading another thread, and I have to assume Apple wanted to use a more durable shell to avoid the huge amount of complaints they received about cracks showing in the previous 2 phone models.

I saw on Apple's site that the glass is "bendable" so this should help stress fractures from showing up.

Any comments or more info on this subject from anyone?

2. dmx macrumors 6502a

It's glass. It won't crack unless you drop it.

3. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

4. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Any specific calibers? I can test it with my friend's 9mm or should I just go with the 12 gauge shotty?

5. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

Don't kid yourself. Anywhere there is a hole or opening in glass, such as the camera hole, is a weakened point and more susceptible to fracturing. I haven't had this problem before, but remember how many people had the issue pop up. The plastic of the last two models could take a beating, but still had the micro cracks show up.

6. eldy macrumors 6502

It'll stop a 1 oz. rifled slug.

7. dmx macrumors 6502a

Have you ever heard of anyone's iPhone 2G or 3G cracking because of the speaker for your ear? Even once? I highly doubt there will be any problems. Glass - especially the quality of glass Apple uses - does not just crack.

8. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

I guess I'll start with a double 0 buck shot then, see if it can take that :D

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

why would there be a hole for the camera? it's glass, I would just assume they've not covered over the camera with colour on the back of the glass. which should also mean the camera lens is now as scratch proof as front of phone finally.

edit: Ignore most of that I guess.. just looked back at pictures and realised it must be a hole for camera and LED. Just hope the camera lens is glass too then, and not easily scratchable.

10. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

That's true. I hope there isn't a weakened point with the metal camera hole ring inserted in the glass back.

11. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

Good point. Was looking at the 3Gs and assumed the camera needed it's own glass.

12. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex