Glass desk mount 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by arthertbc0702, Jun 30, 2013.

1. arthertbc0702 macrumors member

photo.JPG Hi everyone!

I would just like to get some of your opinion on the following:-

I am looking to get the new 27" iMac, the slim one and have it mounted on my glass table as shown in the picture. Do you think that it would hold the weight of the iMac? I'm really worried it would crack or break. I don't have the actual thickness of the glass top at the moment as I am away on a trip. Also would love any recommendation on mounts.

Or would you think just leaving it on the stand would be good enough?

p/s: i apologise for the mess.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Sam Spade macrumors regular

What do you mean by "mounted" on the table?

I think your table should be able to support the weight of the iMac. The machine is really not that heavy.

3. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

I mean with a desk clamp, if that's what its called. I've been looking at the ergotron MX desk mount. Any ideas if thats good?

4. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Ah, ok.

No, I don't think I would attempt to use the Ergotron mount with the small glass table in your photo. I really think you would need a larger, more heavy duty desk.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would just use the standard stand. I would be worried about clamping something to the glass.

I sometimes use my ATD (similar to an iMac) on a glass table at our beach house. Other than needing a mousepad (as I can see you already use)... I have found no differences from using it on a standard wooden desktop. Your glass will be plenty strong.

Edit... upon a closer look... that glass shelf might get in the way of pushing an iMac back far enough to be comfortable. I would recommend that you go to a store, and check a comfortable working distance for you... and measure the required clearance. Is that glass shelf removable?

/Jim

6. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I just edited my post... (just to be sure that you see it). I just use the standard "L" base that comes with an iMac or Thunderbolt Display (ATD).

/Jim

8. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

i actually intend to mount it on that upper shelf?

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I suspect that it would be too high up there using the standard base. You would need something with an articulating arm to lower it... but then I would be worried about attaching something to the glass. My "GUESS" is that such an arm would provide a lot of torque (or "lever factor") at the mounting point.

I would check with a specialty glass shop.

If you could remove the glass shelf... you might find that you do not need it with an iMac... especially since it seems to primarily hold your speakers. The built in speakers on the iMac may be sufficient.

/Jim

10. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I thought with the height of the shelf. then again, i could tilt the imac? or would that just be unworkable in the long run?

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Yes, the iMac has some tilt capability... but you would still be tilting your head upward since the iMac would likely be higher than your head. I suspect that it would be uncomfortable.

/Jim

12. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

or are there mounts which have dual mounting points? haha. so that I can spread the strain on two points on the glass rather than just one?

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you go the "mounted" path... you would need to order your iMac with a "VESA Mount". Then buy the actual mount.

They do have "floor standing" mounts available. http://www.ergomart.com/POS-Mounts/LS6080-POS-Mounts-dtl.htm but I do not know if you would like it.

You can also google search for vesa mounts for glass tabletops.

/Jim

14. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

lol. the floor standing one is just taking the piss no? haha

havent been able to come across any glass top specific mounts :(

15. flynz4 macrumors 68040

For reference... I keep the back of the foot about 22" from the front of my desk.

Of course this is personal preference.

/Jim

16. arthertbc0702 thread starter macrumors member

17. Bolo4u macrumors member

But in the last photo, it looks as though the clamp is bolted to the wall, and the clamp may just be holding the desk in place, not supporting the weight of the iMac itself?

18. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Look, just use the standard foot stand. Remember Steve Jobs motto, keep it simple.

19. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Your desk looks to be like 15mm thick and it will be toughened glass because it has to be for something like a desk.

So 100% absolutely no problem mounting your iMac on it. You could jump up and down on it and it would not break.

20. CoinOP, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

CoinOP macrumors member

The glass is strong enough. It should be for domestic use. Otherwise you couldn't lean on it. Make sure you buy an Imac with VESA mount! Otherwise there is no way to mount it.

Screensize is not an issue unless you plan to do extreem tilting. What's important is the weight. If the pivot of the arm can't handle the wait, it will keep tilting.

I have recently mounted my ATD to my desk and now it lines up perefctly with my Imac(without VESA mount:().

21. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Sounds like you seem pretty set on going with a mount. Although I don't recommend it, go for it and let us know what happens! Good luck.