Glass metal for future iphone case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, May 15, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Hey, check this article out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110512150815.htm

Says the glass is stronger than steel or titanium and that before it's been expensive to mold but apparently some scientists at Caltech have figured out a way to make the process the same as how you mold plastic (so much more in the likelyhood to use it for stuff like cellphones as the price wouldn't be prohibitive).

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very cool!

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wow, that is amazing. I do hope they incorporate this into a future iPhone, if it's appropriate. They would probably have to paint it, or leave it the default color though.

5. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I wonder if it melts as easily as some plastic...

6. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

I doubt it, have you read the article? One of the problems with it is that if you heat it to the temps of plastic, it will crystalize so quick you can't do anything with it (I think what they discovered is a way to heat it quickly enough it uniformly gets heated so they have a good enough instance they can mold it). So old way was to heat it really super high to mold it (which was higher than the molds could really stand so you had to replace molds a lot).

So I am thinking if you put it on something hot most likely it will crystalize so quickly it won't even make much of a dent if at all.