Glass Orb: how to install only dock of that theme ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fa.ce, Oct 24, 2008.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

I've installed WbApp.
    I need to install only the bottom part of Glass Orb theme (dock)
    I've enabled a User Wallpaper.theme, i've tried to insert the Glass Orb's dock, but nothing happens ...
    some hints, please ?

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

just overwrite the dock.png file in the theme that you are using. I saved a copy of the original dock and just renamed it incase I wanted to revert.

3. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, in the meantime, i've reached that scope too :)
    but phone, mail, safari, sms and ipod icons are the standard Apple one.
    i've so created an Icons subfolder in the theme created, and import the Orb Theme's icons (phone, mail, safari and ipod) but i'm missing sms icon, do you know how it's named in Orb Theme ?
    Thanks

4. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

5. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm trying to do the same thing.

May I ask where the default/standard icons/dock are hiding? I only know of the themes section which doesn't seem to contain the stock iPhone stuff. Thanks!

6. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

7. meagain macrumors 68030

So it appears you are telling me that each app's icon is in a separate folder and there is no dock.png per se.

In order to get this darned glass orb dock, I have to replace every icon in the 5 stock folders it resides in. Then figure out a place to put the glass orb dock. Which I still can't figure out where that should go.

All for a dock. What happened to the days when one could just select a dock out of installer?

8. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I didn't say that. Just use the Glass Orb theme, download whatever other icon set you want to use and put them in the glass orb theme.

Should be pretty easy.

9. meagain macrumors 68030

The problem is I don't want the whole glass orb theme. Just the dock. I want to continue to use the stock iphone icons for the main springboard (at least for now as they are in my visual memory and I have way too many apps).

Basically, I think I want to do the opposite of what you said? :)

10. meagain macrumors 68030

OMG... Lightbulb moment. duh. OK I loaded Glass Orb, deleted all the icons in the theme that don't go in the Glass Orb dock. OK, now i have to unwind the other damage I did. :)

11. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Haha yeah, I was going to say I think that was what you wanted.

12. meagain macrumors 68030

:) I almost gave up. Literally spent 2 days off & on on this one thing in between doing higher end stuff that I should've had the problems with. I decided to mix some Bluebird in there with the Glass Orb dock cuz I couldn't stand the glaring red mail & phone message numbers. Gah!
    Well, thanks! LOL

13. tlp5002 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

New to the forums, not entirely new to the topics at hand. I am in a similar boat as meagain. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on how to get in there and delete the icons not associated with the dock.

I would like to use the normal icons for all of my regular applications, as well as my normal wallpaper, but still use the Glass Orb dock if possible. I'm doing a lot of google'ng and learning on my own but I figured someone with a similar problem might be able to shed some light on the subject.

14. DuFFy macrumors regular

download the theme you want to use for your dock, whether from cydia or somewhere else and make sure you have winterboard installed. SSH into your phone, go into var/stash/themes.(random string) and you will find a folder with the name of the theme you downloaded. Drag that onto your desktop and it should copy it onto your computer. Open it up and go into the Icons folder and delete all the icons you dont want (everything except phone, mail, safari, and text or ipod) then go back into the main folder of the theme and delete the wallpaper.png if you dont want that either. Then drag the whole theme back into the same location you took it from, have it overwrite the old one. Then on your phone go into winterboard, check the name of that theme and move it up to the top. With that you should have just the dock of that theme..
    hope that helps

15. meagain macrumors 68030

Back with the same problem.

Just jailbroke 3.0 on my 3g. I cannot find SMS icon (glass orb) no matter what. I see the .png file in ssh but it just doesn't appear on the phone. The other dock icons do.

I can't figure this out at all. I can double click the png in ssh and it pops up fine in downloads. I see the image. I still have the stock SMS icon and I can't figure out why?

Any ideas?

16. padesatka macrumors newbie

I tried doing the same following the advice here, and let the magic smoke out of my iPwn. Help me!! (just kidding). Recently someone posted in a thread like this "I've lost my shoe- Help Me!". I don't feel quite so pathetic as that, but is there a GOC-Doc in the house?

Like meagain and other folks who don't seem pathetic at all, I share a connoisseur's appreciation for ToyVan's glasOrb dock. However, the bubble/lense effect encapsulating every single bloody icon has gotten a little tiresome for me after a few weeks. o_O Although I have appreciated variations on Glass Orb more than any other themes, the few "plain" icons still lacking the bubble-treatment have come to look much better on the screen, in my opinion. So I'm a square. I can admit it. That's what brings me here. That single orb in the center of the dock is orb enough for me- other than that you can hold the bubbles thanks.

I attempted keeping Text.png in the icon set just as DuFFy helpfully advises above (deleting all files in /var/stash/themes.#######/icons/ except for Phone.png, Mail.png, Safari.png, iPod.png, and Text.png). It works swell for Safari, "iPod" (what a lousy name for an app that is) Phone, and Mail. Except for the big green horror that is the default Texting or SMS icon weighing down one side of the dock I got what I wanted, which is standard icons and a GOCdock.

Apparently, Apple may not be pointing the iPhone to the Messages icon file we know as Text.png (is someone textpng me?) But I'm not really sure. Duplications in the iphone file structure add to the confusion for those of us poking around with only just enough knowledge to be a danger to ourselves, and to severely try the patience of helpful veterans in threads like this.

Patient veterans, and veteran patients know that themes and their associated files are duplicated in the path /Library/Themes/ along with the location mentioned in the posts above. For all I know there could be yet another instance of Text.png lurking somewhere else in this madhouse. It seems to me as if we're saving and deleting the wrong files in the case of the ambiguously-named standard-issue texting app.

I realize that the WinterBoard convention is to have identical names for .png icon files and associated .app application files, but could it be that this is not the case with this particular app?

I've found no icon files named Messages.png (which would be the conventional Winterboard name for the icon).

Separating the Glass Orb dock from the full icon set seems a little tedious. I've been through the procedure 3 times, and also did a remove&reinstall of the theme with Cydia to see if i had made some silly mistake. But Text.png seems like barking up the wrong tree. I'm sure that if & when someone savvier than me chimes in, it won't seem anymore like I can't find my way out of a wet paper bag. Help me! You've read this far so come on man- let's have the secret!

If someone knows the answer or figures this out in the near future (or if ToyVan should happen to look in and take pity on the poor) please help us kind Sir or Madam. For ToyVan there's still time to offer us the G.O.C. Ultimate Dock- sold separately for less than the cost of a decent drink or smoke. The independent GOCdock would likely double your money before there are too many imitators of your lovely creation.

The dock really is the best part, in my opinion- and worthy of much compensation and recognition. But it's not so easy to separate from all the bubble-hubble (that I realize many people like) because of the specialized dock icons that are the key to the tidy and artful look of this dock.

When I next take some time to look into tweaking this again, I'm inclined to look closer down that long list of bubble-wrapped icons, for another .png that may be in play here. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I may investigate where the default Text/Messages icon .png is located, and insert ToyVan's GlassOrb Text.png in that path and filename.

But for now, I've spent enough time poking and posting and I'll have to live with a big fat default icon hideously tilting the fengshui of the GOC-dock. But so be it- I'm sorry but I'm just bubbled out, and can't bear going back to the same ole orb orb orb orb orbit.

As a fairly novice iPhone tweaker, I'm curious about the evolution and reasoning behind the iPhone file structure in general- The considerable duplication and branching is interesting, and a little frustrating sometimes. There must be a reason for the tangle, besides just confounding newbs like me.

17. padesatka macrumors newbie

OK I got it. At the root (cough) of this it seems that Apple (or the folks they outsource development to) don't follow any icon naming and path rules.

cjm3113 (thanks cjm) had actually posted the answer to the independent GOCdock above- but on first attempt I dismissed the link as dead. Was I ever wrong about that. Hack that Phone is a very helpful, well-organized, and donation-worthy reference that I was unaware of until now. I'm in no way affiliated, but I've got it prominently bookmarked now, and I highly recommend it.

Armed with valuable information from there, I proceeded thusly:

1. I reset my previous meddling by removing and reinstalling Glass orb Color theme in Cydia (again). It would have been better while figuring this out to backup and rename files and directories on the iPhone as I proceeded, but I try to keep the bloat down on my phone, and don't keep anything on it that I think I don't need.

2. As on previous attempts, from /var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx/Glass Orb Color.theme/Icons/ I dropped Safari.png iPod.png Phone.png Mail.png and Text.png onto my desktop.

3. As on previous attempts, I carefully selected all files remaining in the above folder and deleted them. Then I returned the 5 survivors to their folder (including Text.png for posterity).

4. Back on the desktop, I renamed that copy of Text.png to icon.png

5. Navigating back to /Applications/MobileSMS.app/ I gave the default icon.png a backup name, dubbing it icon.png.GORB

6. Now I dropped the the file formerly known as Text.png that I renamed in Step 4 into the MobileSMS.app folder.

7. Resprang, and now I am enjoying a GOCdock with default icons everywhere but the dock.

This experience has taught me why theme and tutorial developers deserve our support now and then. There are many details and time invested in these tweaks, but many people have a fleeting span of attention about the nuts-and-bolts of app and theme development. I believe that instead of wringing our hands over the Apple business model (or other corporate revenue structures) those of us who desire friendlier alternatives should cultivate the habit of contributing monetarily to the evolution of open markets.

I don't make my own living developing, tweaking, or marketing software. But I do believe in being kind to folks you meet, and in complimenting and rewarding the people I encounter who serve others for a living, whenever it's possible and appropriate. I believe that such habits can and will change the world for the better, if understood and undertaken collectively.

Satisfied with this tweak, I probably won't be re-arranging the looks of my iPhone now for a long time. So, now is the right time for me to send a small amount of cash to ToyVan and MCJ who enabled me to enjoy the look of my iPhone homespace again. As I keep finding such good info here at macrumors, I'll remember to donate here as well. Thanks!

Sorry for the long posts, everyone.

18. padesatka macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

19. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Looks good, I agree, this is the coolest dock I have seen:

[​IMG]

20. meagain macrumors 68030

I have issues with this every time I JB.

OK.... Where exactly does the dock.png file go? Under "Badges?" Not in the "icons" folder - right?

I have my dock icons set but still have the stock 'shelf' with no orb DOCK.

And.... Even after all these years, I still see conflicting info on where the theme should be. Library/themes or Stash/themes?