glass over macbook screen - remove?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asqy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. asqy macrumors regular

Went to have a look at those nice new shiney macbooks. Impressed. More impressed now that picasa can be uised on mac. Only thing is those glossy screens with the glass over them, created a double reflection. I know the glass is not meant to be removed, but can it?

Thanks!

2. ryan482 macrumors newbie

thats pretty sweet, i wish they had it for the 13 inch as well

3. chocolaterabbit macrumors regular

it's not really worth it to pay a premium for removal. you're better off getting something else if you must have matte.

4. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

They do.

The thought of splashing out on an MBP to have some third party company go Dr. Frankenstein on it gives me the shudders.

Imagine taking your matte-screened 15" MBP into a Apple store to have them honour the warranty. I don't think you'd get too far. :rolleyes:

5. asqy thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I would just live with the gloss...But my IBM t43 keeps chugging along (touch wood). Three years and counting!

6. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

tbh, it's entirely a matter of preference. Personally, I love the glossy screens. Having had my white MacBook for 25 months now, I would never go back to a matte screen if I can help it. But ever since Apple removed the option of having a matte screen on BTO Macs many people have been dissatisfied. I guess Apple's decision to reintroduce the matte option only on the MBP was a blatant ploy to force customers to upgrade if they were really desperate for a matte screen and, like me, wouldn't feel comfortable posting a new machine off to a third party company to tinker with so drastically.

7. asqy thread starter macrumors regular

I could live with the single layer glossy from the older white macbook. But the double reflection is too much. I went to have a look at some during lunch and it was just too much. It's a shame.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Power Support makes Anti-Glare Film for the unibody MacBooks if you're interested. There's no adhesive, and if done properly it looks great (according to reviews. Haven't tried it myself). It's cheaper than going third party and voiding your warranty. It's also removable if you decide to resell or take it in for service.