Glass Rising Normal???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlackMamba14, Apr 13, 2011.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

I have exchanged my iPad 3 times in search of one without backlight bleeding, and finally got one that is perfect. Every one I have gotten has had the glass slightly risen near the home button. I'm starting to believe it's just a problem with all iPads. Does a perfect iPad exist???

2. killthedj macrumors newbie

Glass Rising Normal???

No! not normal just substandard, i have this along with major bleed 4th iPad2.

3. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I always have thought very highly of apples qc. It's disappointing that the iPad 2 has so many issues with it's build. I guess I'll just stick with this one and not risk getting a worse one

4. Gomff macrumors 6502a

No problems here with backlight bleeding or glass on the screen. iPad Bought on launch day in the UK.

Maybe I was lucky.

5. aperry macrumors 6502a

6. RobNor macrumors 6502

7. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Same here, I find the amount of complaints of faults that get posted on here hard to believe.

8. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Why? There's even images to go along with a lot of the problems posted.

9. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Sheer number and tales of multiple replacements, not just iPad problems either, none of mine or friends have any of the issues that get reported. although it seems people only mention the defective units and the good ones go unmentioned, which generates a false image of any issue.

10. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

So the more complaints you hear the less likely you are to believe there's a problem. Ok.

11. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I believe there are issues, but I also believe Apple users expect perfection, (as Apple advertises that image.) The glass being slightly raised around the home button is an issue for an Apple branded device. Nearly any other manufacture would not consider it an issue.

12. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

same issue

I posted this same issue the other week prior to returning the device. I had an AT&T 32GB WiFi+3G that I bought at Walmart. The bottom half of the glass screen was raised increasingly as it reached to the home button area. Enough so that I could actually see movement when I pushed the screen down in those areas. Since it was difficult to find a 32GB or AT&T model anywhere in my area, I returned it to Walmart rather than trying to exchange with fears the next open box would have the same issue.

I'm debating on waiting altogether until the iPad3 or waiting out the initial production rush.

13. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone's screen gotten worse over time? I think for the normal consumer the glass would be a non issue. But people on macrumors are not the "average" consumer and we have high standards for our tech

14. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Errr no. Why on earth would you think that.

No product that has a glass surface which is stuck down should have the glass lifting away from the device anywhere. Be it $4.99 or $499.99

15. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

I talked to applecare and started a case log on my glass. If it gets worse i will swap it out but for now im just going to keep it. Don't want to lose my sp and skin again.

16. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Just from new members banging on about it yeah. :rolleyes:

17. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I can't tell if mine is the glass being too high or the home button being too pushed in. It is annoying though.

18. slicecom macrumors 68020

:eek: You got one without backlight bleed!? I was beginning to think such a thing didn't exist!

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes, mine is now sticking out over 3 inches!:eek:

20. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

All the iPads I have had have all had backlight bleed and glass issues. Si the fact that I eliminated 1 of the 2 makes me feel like I should keep this one unless the glass starts flying off the screen

21. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yeah, but all of the backlight bleeding issue pics I've seen had to be so enhanced to see the issue that I have trouble believing that the problem isn't a minor issue that's been there all along, but just being blown out of proportion. Too many people have had to find a dark screen, turn brightness up to 100%, in a darkened room, to "see if they had the problem". That's like having to smash your hand with a sledgehammer to see if you have carpel tunnel pain. :p

Not saying that there aren't issues, but I think a lot of the complaints here have been of the OCD-enhanced variety. Most of them probably have other LCD devices with equal amounts of bleeding that they never noticed because they didn't go actively seeking it out.

22. aperry macrumors 6502a

I was one of the people who had mine swapped out for bleeding. I could obviously see it most notably in a dark room with the backlight at 100% using a black background. But I could also see it clearly at 50%. And, believe it or not, a lot of people like to watch widescreen movies in a dark room. So it's not an uncommon scenario, and the bleeding was bothering me even at 50%. Why should I let a defect in my $630 device distract me from using it as intended?