Glass scratches VS Coating Scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Woodcrest64, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

My iPhone 6s has this after market spray on scratch resistant coating which I got done a local retailer and I don't have any heavy scratches per say thanks to it. I can however see this micro super tiny hairline scratches which weren't there before. I wondering if you can get coating scratches but not really scratches to the actual glass? They are only visible on certain angles.

Why am I asking? Well because you purchase after market anti finger spray on coating which the iPhone already has. If I buy this and apply it I wonder if it will fill in those 'coating' scratches assuming that's what those are.

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to say that "after market spray on scratch resistant coating" is completely bogus "snake oil". Not only is it not protecting your iPhone but at worst it could be reducing the sensitivity of the screen or even could damage the protective coating that Apple has engineered into the touch surface.

At this point, your best bet it to hope that the coating that's already on your phone has not damaged it and will wear off. Whatever you do, do not apply additional crap to the iPhone.

3. bufffilm, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

LOL...even if that were true (and I would be dubious)...does it really make it better to know that 'No, the phone is not scratched but the coating is scratched!'

Word of advice to anyone else who's about to buy an iphone...get a glass protector if you don't want any screen scratches. Period.

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Just curious - where did you get your spray stuff? My local Staples sales guy was trying to talk me into some type of protective coating. I kept thinking that I'd be in big trouble if the coating scratched and then you couldn't remove it.

I'm a big proponent of the glass screen protectors but with my 6S Plus, I haven't been able to get one to stay down. I've spent a lot of money trying different brands recommended on the forums with no luck. I'm the screen protector installer for my whole family but no good installs no matter what I do with this phone. So I'm running the first time ever with no screen protector and a very minimal case also. I am usually using my S Plus with two hands so less chance of dropping it - at least I hope.

5. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Lol. It was Staples that did the 'protective' coating . :) I'm more or less curious if the finger print coating that Apple uses can be filled in cause I know you can buy it. In fact Ifixit even shows how to apply it on a phone .

I know people here have gotten micro hairline scratches on their iPhones and have been super careful with them.

Assuming that the stuff Staples sprayed on made it some what harder to scratch nothing is going to stop small molecules of sand from scratching it or surviving direct fall to concrete which I knew. I tried two removal screen protectors, one tapered edge glass and the other plastic. Unfortunately because of the iPhone's rounded edges the screen protectors had a tendency of lifting up with cases I tried.

There are ones that don't go to the edge but you risk scratching the other parts that are not covered.

I'm more or less interested if you can fill in the scratches with the after market anti finger print coating assuming that is what it is that is scratched on the phone.

My guess is the coating won't fill in the scratch but coat it still leaving the scratch visible. Just wondering if anyone here has done it. :)

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I hear you. I hope someone else has some suggestions.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think you should quit worrying about your phone and use it. It must be the most important thing in your life at this point. That will change, believe me, that will change.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yup, and it sounds like he just covered up the stock protective (fingerprint) coating, that was on there to begin with. All to try and hide micro scratches that can only be seen in certain lighting situations.

9. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

My Kids are ;)