Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
we've all seen tempered glass screen protectors taken over the market on iPhones, iPads. but have anyone seen any good glass screen protectors for MacBooks? iMacs?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
why would you want to put a piece of glass on a mac? there will be a degradation in visual quality and what would be the point unless you plan on putting a mac in your pocket with keys.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
why would you want to put a piece of glass on a mac? there will be a degradation in visual quality and what would be the point unless you plan on putting a mac in your pocket with keys.
because they don't sell apple care + for Mac....

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
because they don't sell apple care + for Mac....

Uh.. they sell AppleCare for Macs.... I don't know what you're doing normally to your laptop to mess the screen up. Also, I would be worried about the extra space between the screen and keys that your filling with added layer of glass which would put more pressure on the screen since the newer macs don't have much room between the screen and the keys when closed.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm...:confused:

Other than the occasional point or touch, the screen on either an iMac or MBPro don't ordinarily have much need for protection, do they?
Certainly not at the same level as your phone, or iPad, both of which are touched frequently as a normal part of use. iMacs/MBPros, not so much.
As mentioned above, an extra layer of glass would take away the space between the closed lid and the keyboard, which is at a premium now.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
they don't sell apple care for macs? can't tell if serious.
they sell apple care, but not apple care plus. plus covers accidental damage.
[doublepost=1481951382][/doublepost]
Uh.. they sell AppleCare for Macs.... I don't know what you're doing normally to your laptop to mess the screen up. Also, I would be worried about the extra space between the screen and keys that your filling with added layer of glass which would put more pressure on the screen since the newer macs don't have much room between the screen and the keys when closed.

I was talking about apple care +, which apple don't offer on Macs, they only offer apple care.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi OP
Accident damage should be covered by household insurance.
Maybe worth phoning them and finding out - excess of £50 would be a fair amount, then after your mind is at rest, enjoy.
I doubt a screen protector would work well as the iPhone ones are a pain to fit.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There's a good reason why you haven't seen any. They're not necessary or desirable and there isn't a market for them.

Reactions: Boyd01

Democritus

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Te...8-10&keywords=screen+protector+macbook+pro+15

• Exclusively designed for 2016 Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch
  • EASY TO INSTALL: Automatically attach to the screen smoothly, precise size, bubble-free, hassle-free
  • 9H HARDNESS: Anti-scratch, anti-fingerprint, explosion-proof and pressure-resistant; Its oleophobic coating offers resistance against smudges, water and oil
  • HIGH DEFINTION: 99% light transmittance, ultra-thin 0.26mm thickness tempered glass screen protector with high adsorption, high transparency and touch sensitivity
  • VIFLYKOO : VIFLYKOO provide high quality products with manufacturer's warranty and best customer service. Feel free to contact us if there is any problem with the products you received.
There are equivalents for every MacBook size and model.

I was thinking of getting one of these to protect the screen for use with a stylus and an Airbar touch screen adapter.

http://www.air.bar/

It works without official support in Mac OS and has more precise drivers in Windows (Which I use primarily as a game developer since Articy Draft and many other game dev tools are Windows only).

I am still researching a bluetooth active pressure sensitive stylus that can work on any touch screen with pressure sensitivity on Windows. Does anyone know of one that works to add pressure to capacitive windows touch screen laptop/tablets?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Te...8-10&keywords=screen+protector+macbook+pro+15

• EASY TO INSTALL: Automatically attach to the screen smoothly, precise size, bubble-free, hassle-free
  • 9H HARDNESS: Anti-scratch, anti-fingerprint, explosion-proof and pressure-resistant; Its oleophobic coating offers resistance against smudges, water and oil
  • HIGH DEFINTION: 99% light transmittance, ultra-thin 0.26mm thickness tempered glass screen protector with high adsorption, high transparency and touch sensitivity
  • VIFLYKOO : VIFLYKOO provide high quality products with manufacturer's warranty and best customer service. Feel free to contact us if there is any problem with the products you received.

No reviews, want to be the first?

I was thinking of getting one of these to protect the screen for use with a stylus and an Airbar touch screen adapter.

It works without official support in Mac OS and has more precise drivers in Windows (Which I use primarily as a game developer since Articy Draft and many other game dev tools are Windows only).

I am still researching a bluetooth active pressure sensitive stylus that can work on any touch screen with pressure sensitivity on Windows. Does anyone know of one that works to add pressure to capacitive windows touch screen laptop/tablets?

It's an interesting idea although I note that the review here http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/accessories/airbar says it's not particularly good with macOS. I can't imagine it being accurate enough to be useful except in cases where you're using the Windows Metro interface i.e. big tiles.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

you're adding a layer of glass between the keyboard and the screen when the screen itself is already touching the keyboard. I can't imagine it being good for the computer. you'll winding up doing more harm than good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.