Glass Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iPhoneApple, Nov 23, 2012.

1. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

I had a few questions that I haven't see any answers about (or I missed).
    I wanted to know though..

1) Does the thickness of glass screen protectors make it harder to use the home button?

2) How easy are these to install?

3) Do they scratch or peel off easily?

4) Are they worth the price?

5) Is there any glass screen protector that is better than the others?

Thanks

2. mikejg macrumors member

No

Very, use hinge method.

No

Yes

There are only 2 I'm aware of and have only used the Spigen glas.tr

3. R4VR macrumors newbie

1.) The thickness does not really affect the home button, it can affect the cases that can be used.
    2.) They are not easy, but not difficult to install. It just requires a steady hand and patience. You do have to be extra careful with the glass ones as you can break them during install.
    3.) They do not peel easily, how easily it scratches depends on how well it is made.
    4.) I think they are overpriced, there are better rubber/plastic ones available IMO. I usually buy a few, so that if it gets scratched, I just peel and replace.
    5.) It's best to choose a product with solid reviews from a neutral source, such as Amazon.

4. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answers! Also have you heard any differences between the SGP glas.tr and bodyguardz pure?

5. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

I think the bodyguard was a little thinner. BTW, SGP is having 40% off sale right now for the GLAS series, I just picked one up.

6. The Flying Kite, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

The Flying Kite macrumors regular

Pretty much all of the glass screen protectors seem to be the same, or 95% similar. I just picked up a Bodyguardz Pure for my iPhone 5 for 50% off because I'm a returning customer. It's 40% off for a new customer. (There is no code or anything, it's implemented right into the items). I've read a lot of people say the biggest difference between the Bodyguardz Pure and the Spigen Glas series is the Return/Replacement Policy. Bodyguardz offers a 30 day return policy, and a lifetime replacement policy where you pay $12.95 to replace it for any reason. Spigen offers a 30 day replacement policy where you pay $15 for the Glas.t or $18 for the Glas.tR to replace it. After 30 days, you can no longer do this. This was the main reason I went for the Bodyguardz.

Disclaimer: I have not received either one of these yet. I am only stating what I have read about the two of them.

7. R4VR macrumors newbie

Personally I think the SGP is more durable, I don't personally have it but have installed one for a friend of mine. If I were to get one, i'd go with SGP no doubt.

8. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I think I have settled on SGP. Any tips for making sure no dust gets under the screen?

9. rjbeh macrumors regular

Get a dust spray, i think you can get'em on any hardware shops. For me I use a super large air compressor at work to do the job :D

10. bwerner25 macrumors member

Has anyone used a Celldeco home button with the bodyguardz pure screen protector? I've seen that they have helped with the SPG home button cutout but I haven't seen anyone mention if they work/help with the Pure.

11. Wanderer509 macrumors member

did u just run the compressor to blow across the phone while u applied the glass? wont that also have hte chance of blowing lint into the glass?

12. golfgrouch macrumors member

After you clean the glass with water and a microfiber towel, use a lint roller to remove dust right before you apply the protector. Alternatively, cover the screen with tape and remove it right before you apply the protector.

13. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Good advice! And do you recommend applying in a steamy room?

14. golfgrouch macrumors member

That is what many advise. I haven't done it myself.

15. floss macrumors regular

Lint roller is good advice.

Also, the BG Pure is a better value than the SGP imo. The SGP seems to be more popular though because they're a more well known brand but a lot of people are sleeping on the Pure. From the few people who've tried both brands, they've noted that their of comparable quality. The only differences seem to be:

1. The BG Pure adds lesser bulk, feels slimmer and as a result, the home button recess is less pronounced and feels better than the SGP.
    2. The oleophobic coating on both is about the same but the Pure may be more "smudge-proof" from one account that i've read.
    3. The Glas.tR has noticeable beveled edges, which some may like but to me makes it look less "invisible" on the iPhone.
    4. The SGP comes with 6 home button stickers (2 white, 2 black, 1 yellow, 1 pink) and the BG comes with 2 (1 black, 1 white.)
    5. Most importantly, BodyGuardz has lifetime $13 replacements while SGP's is $15 for the .t and $18 for the .tR and are only offered for 30 days.

You can't go wrong with either brand of course, and now's the right time to buy seeing as how they're both on sale. Personally, I highly recommend the BG Pure.

16. Cosmos01 macrumors member

Does anyone who tried the Spigen Glas.tR or Bodyguardz Pure know if either works with the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer and still has a lip and sufficient lay on the table design with it?

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree with Floss on all accounts. I've tried both and highly recommend the Pure over the SGP. The Pure is just a better screen protector.

18. PastorJeff macrumors member

I would like to know this also

19. golfgrouch macrumors member

How did you draw this conclusion?

20. rjbeh macrumors regular

nah not really, cause the compressor itself is at the back of the factory and connected with airpipes all around the production area. So i had a perfect install with that

21. floss macrumors regular

Guessing it's just an assumption based solely on brand awareness.

Also...

...rubber? and if you catch one of these glass screen protectors on sale (which is often) then they're definitely not overpriced. On sale they're usually about $5 more than the best plastic screen protector and that makes it a no-brainer to go for glass. The best plastic screen protector out there doesn't compare to a glass one. I've tried both SGP and Power Support. The only benefit of a plastic one I can think of is the thinness makes them compatible with most cases.

The glass ones are also easier to install, it's just somewhat difficult to lift back up if you end up with dust underneath and you risk weakening the adhesive.

22. bwerner25 macrumors member

Does anyone have any experience using one of the glass screen protectors over a skin? I assume it would work just fine. The only think I'm worried about is that the slight difference in height between the screen and the skin wouldn't allow the glass to adhere properly and there would be a small space between it and the screen.

23. Jman13 macrumors 68000

The one question I have is this:

If the screen protector shatters - can you get it off without scratching the crap out of your phone in the process?

24. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Hinge method?

I have read about the "hinge method" for install. Can someone direct me to where it is listed on the forum... or re-explain?

Thanks,

Sheldon

25. trdspectacoma macrumors regular