Glass screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I right now am using the invisibleshield glass screen protector and I do love it, but it bothers me that it doesn't go all the way to the edges like the iPhone 5 version did.

Is there such a thing as a screen protector that does go all the way? I believe that the curved screen edges might pose an issue.

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Every one i've seen is almost identical. From expensive brands to cheap cheap ones.

And actually, in my opinion its crazy to spend $40 for one at best buy when you can get an identical one on ebay for $5.

3. Paco II macrumors 65816

OP check out the holy grail thread. Lots of options but all come with limitations such as rough edges or case incompatibility.

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Nice! I've got to look into these! Thanks for the info!

As an aside, What the hell is the other sensor above the earpiece?? One is the ambient light sensor, but the other on? I never even realized there was something else there!

Edit: Proximity sensor? I always thought the ambient and prox sensor were the same. Is that what it is?

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

There are issues with full screen protectors. I don't know why Zagg won't make one, as the invisible shield, seems to me as the only option (see below for why). I used to be a big fan of zagg invisible shield, but, have since switched to glass, prefer it.

There are 2 things with iPhone 6/+ that cause issues with full screen protection:

1) Yes, the far edges are curved, this presents a big challenge for the people making protectors.

2) The entire screen is very thin and actually flexes near the edges which is why a full screen rigid protector such as glass will not work at all. Any full-screen protection will have something other than glass at the edges, and, usually this will allow dust/debris under the edges of the protector, (read the reviews). This is the major difference between iPhone 6/+ & all other iOS devices (so far).

I have opted for a non-full-screen glass protector, and love it. I prefer the smoothness and clarity of glass. And I have full-screen glass protectors on my iPhone 5 & iPad Mini, but, those are flat devices.

This is the one I have, and highly recommend, it is electroplated glass instead of oleophobic coated, it is the smoothest glass protector I have (out of 3 different brands) it barely smudges and cleans easier than oleophobic coated glass: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKVSCRS/ It is not full-screen, but covers the image area of screen. (see my review by Benjamin on Dec 16).

6. newellj macrumors 601

I have non-full screen Spigens on my two iPhone 6s and really like them for the same reasons. I use the Apple leather cases and the ~1mm gap on the sides hasn't been an issue for me at all.