Glass SP Claimed Thickness

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rstark18, Aug 4, 2015.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

When I first got my iPhone 6 I settled on the Orzly Glass. It's specifications were like everyone else's except they claimed a thickness of 0.24mm. I have been happy with this sp for the duration but it chipped the other day. I decided to try something else so I bought an iloome Screenmate. For other reasons I am returning the iloome and was on the hunt for a replacement which led me to a post about a bulk buy of sp that looked exactly like the Orzly. The only difference was the thickness. The bulk lot is supposed to be 0.30mm. That got me curious and I broke out my digital calipers and measured my Orzly. Guess what, it measures 0.40mm (actually 0.42mm but we'll call that the adhesive). I contacted the seller of the bulk lot and he said theirs does measure at 0.30mm. I'll be measuring the iloome when it comes off as well. Has anyone else measured the thickness?
    [​IMG]

2. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I received the bulk lot of screen protectors. The claim of 0.30mm is not accurate. They measure out at 0.50mm.
    I also measured the iloome Screenmate and that also measures at 0.50mm
    Ebay bulk lot:
    [​IMG]
    iloome Screenmate:
    [​IMG]

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

At .5 I would say those are some thick protectors. I've had the Benks unique pro on my Plus for a few months and it's been excellent. They claim its .2. I never measured it but it's been one of the thinnest protectors that I've used.

I had a screen protector previously that chipped from getting bumped with an airplane seat belt.

When you purchased your bulk purchase were you looking for a thicker type protector or just surprised they at thicker than the seller claimed?

4. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I wasn't looking for a thicker protector. Actually I want as thin as I can get. But since the thin one don't last very long (chip easily) I decided the bulk purchase was worth a shot.

5. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Okay Gotcha. I've been very fortunate with my current protector - got a really super install and it's held up very well.

6. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

0.50mm does sound thick compared to other claims. But I'm starting to think that many claims are exaggerated. On reviews I'm hoping reviewers measure the thickness.

What do you mean by sticky? If you mean the glass touch surface, then no it is very smooth with a good oleophobic coating.

7. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Wow, the imos is supposedly .55 mm...must really be 1mm lol

8. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to see which companies are accurate with their thickness measurements.
    If anyone wants to mail me a broken or old SP, I'll be happy to measure it and post it here. Just be sure to let me know exactly which SP it is.

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I just took off a scratched Benks Unique Pro. The claim is .2. I'll try to see if my husband has his micrometers from his old tool shop days. If so, I'll measure it and post.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Measured it again and tightened better - got to 11 but that still equates to just under 3 mm - definitely not 2 as they claim. But this screen protector is definitely one of the thinnest glass protectors that I've used. My first one was just super. Fit perfectly, installed great with no bubbles, super clear and feels good.

It also has held up beautifully. Until this morning. I picked up my dog from the groomer. He was still wet and picked up dirt and sand in his paws which ended up in my purse and all over my phone. I tried to wipe off with a micro fiber cloth in the car and scratched the protector good. Must have had sand embedded in the cloth. So I pulled it off and put a new one on. Thankfully the new one looks great as well.

Not sure what ever happened to that company - Benks. But I'm glad I picked up a spare protector as I really like this one.