Glass Trackpad acting as if it is constantly held down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nintenmac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

Ok, so my MBP (listed in my signature) has been acting as if the trackpad was being held down, so text will highlight on a webpage and then as I move the mouse around it highlights other text like normal. However even if I click down on the trackpad, click or tap, it will still act like it is held down. Same thing happens when moving windows around and also box highlighting things in the finder (except when you clickdown the highlight box will disappear but as soon as you move the mouse on the trackpad it will start highlighting again).

I did drop my computer 2 months ago, it was in a protective sleeve and my heavily padded computer backpack, still dented with all the protection :mad:, it is dented on the corner as if you barely push the corner inward on the bottom so there is a slight gap between the battery door and the frame. However this didn't start happening until after i updated to 10.6.4 and the magic trackpad update, which activated inertial scrolling on my model.

Also this issue doesn't happen all the time, it happens randomly and it persists for a while, then randomly stops or I turn the computer off. In addition it doesn't happen if I use my Mighty Mouse but if it occurs and immediately use my mouse, the issue persists. I have tried everything, put the computer to sleep, repaired permissions, and excessive clicking, nothing works, I am wondering if this is happening to anyone else or if you have any ideas.

Thanks

2. booste macrumors member

booste

Exact same thing happens to me. I have a mid 2010 13" MBP...

3. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Same here. Mid-2010 15" core i5. Very disappointed, as it's only a little over a month old and paid over $2k for it... Hope there's a fix soon.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's probably due to the "Tap Drag" feature being on in Trackpad Preferences. Just turn it off.

5. Nintenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that earlier, didn't work :(

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your Trackpad System Preferences. I just want to check the settings that you had it on that you said didn't work.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Here's mine. I have the same issue.

Attached Files:

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

My earlier post suggested to turn off the Tap Dragging, yours is enabled. Turn it off and post back with results.

9. Nintenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

10. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Does this issue persist with tap to click disabled?

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I need tap dragging. I can't turn it off becaise I am too used to it. I hope that they make a fix soon.