Glass Trackpad Cracked???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jatku, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Jatku macrumors member

Ok, so it's not as bad as it sounds, and I'm not completely sure it is cracked. It's not even visible at any angle, but if I run my finger to the bottom left corner of the trackpad, I can feel a line where it feels like two barely separated pieces. If I press the corner (1 inch up, 2 inches across) down, it looks as sturdy as a normal trackpad. The tracking is even all around the pad, where the bottom and top left and right corners have limited/no sensitivity, which is the same as a cm strip along the top and bottom of the pad. It happens if I start in the areas and stay there, but if I start outside and go into the areas, they work fine. Is this the same as everyone else? Doesn't bother me about the weak zones much since this pad is huge and I never go to the edge, I'd just like to know if it indicates a damaged part. I included a crappy picture that I edited on the iphone where the red line indicates where I feel the "break" and green lines showing where the sensitivity is low.

I took it to an Apple Store where a genius and the manager both were able to feel the line. The genius said since it would be considered a "cosmetic" problem, it wouldn't be repaired. (I didn't notice the sensitivity issue until afterward) They said if it really bothered me, call AppleCare and ask for a replacement. Don't get me wrong, they didn't try to avoid the problem and they were pretty understanding.

I'm a bit hesitant to get a replacement because Apple pretty much gave me a huge upgrade by replacing my powerbook with this. Even though I'm a perfectionist, I don't want to bother the company with small issues since they helped me out a lot. Not only that, I don't want to get stuck with a replacement that ends up being worse off than this one. The screen is good, and while I do barely see a bit of leaking light in the bottom right side and some in the left edge, but I had to look hard for it. They keyboard is ok and no dents or scratches in the machine. I may just live with it, not sure at the moment.

Attached Files:

2. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I'd bring it to apple and see what they say. they may be able to swap it out within a couple days.

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

If you ever drop a Macbook Pro the screen and the trackpad will always shatter.

4. keyoh macrumors newbie

That's strange, I had a rattling problem on my trackpad in that same exact area. The apple store replaced mine because it was clearly audible.

5. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Am I the only one who only sees the green lines?

6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I see red lines too... :p

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dunno about the crack but holy **** you need to take it back! There are green and red lines all over the place!
    Those ****ers in China never give up!

8. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I don't feel a line, but the dead zones are present. I believe they are intentional to prevent accidental input while typing (top) or your thumb (bottom) while mousing.

9. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

oh hey aren't you the one who sold me the messed up SLVR?

thanks a bunch for that one........

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No sweetheart. I have a SLVR in my possession that I bought off Ebay. It was silver and I painted it lime green. It is, in fact, still in my possession. Be very careful with your false claims my friend. ;) They'll come back to bite you.

11. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Haha, okay. just checking; there was some gal a while back with the same name who sold me a SLVR she described in 'good condition' despite it being scratched, banged, and the vibrator didn't work.

Sorry for the OT, guys!

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To think ... another Jessica in the world? How odd.
    And my vibrator works as advertised thank you very much.

13. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Oh jeez :rolleyes:

the vibrator in my iPhone works! thank goodness :p

14. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Jessica 1
    MK 0

Time for round 2. My money is on Jessica. :D

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO that seriously made me lol. I'm sure MK is a winner ... at something. ;)

16. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

[​IMG]

Oh this isn't BF.C? [​IMG]

17. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I personally would try to get it replaced... however, if they insist on not replacing it due to cosmetic issues, I would have them create a ticket and make a note on your account that you did bring your macbook into the store for a minor crack on the trackpad so that if the problem gets worst, you won't have trouble getting it replaced under warranty.
    If you're problem would worsen in the future, it's hard to prove to Apple that the crack was caused by a defect if they don't make a note on your account about this now.

Just my 2 cents :D

opinion: I think the cosmetic problem excuse by apple is ridiculous. I think the cosmetic problem excuse should be more specific. A crack on a brand new MacBook is going alittle too far. I mean for $2000, we should expect some what of a perfect notebook....

I would be pissed if i had a crack on my trackpad... :D

18. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Is this a joke? I see green and red lines and that's it.

19. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

To the OP: Don't have any regrets about trying to get a replacement even though Apple has already helped you out. From my experience, they treat every case as its own issue and do not discriminate based on the customer's history.

20. Jatku thread starter macrumors member

I was just highlighting the areas I was talking about, since you can't see the crack if you just look at it. The red line is where I feel the crack and green is where I was indicating areas of low sensitivity on the trackpad.

21. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I fixed that for ya.

22. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

yummy :p