iPad mini Glass used in iPad mini with retina is the same as iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by animatedude, Jan 27, 2014.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

There's no way in hell the same glass used in iPad mini with retina is the same in iPhone 5s because the 5s from my hands many times and it never had any scratches but the iPad mini fell once and the glass was completely broken... I'm sure the size has something to do with it but the kind of glass maybe has something to do with it can anyone confirm this?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I know folks who've dropped a 5s onto wood at a short distance, cracked the glass all up and down. Sometimes it's just the angle.

4. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

more on this please?

5. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Sure it does.. or at least some kind of toughened glass from corning. Name doesn't matter.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Tim is that you?

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You have easily 4 times the surface area on the mini, completely different animal in terms of how the glass responds.

8. Rodster, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

Rodster macrumors 68040

Pretty much all the big name tablet makers use some type of toughened glass.

For the OP: This is why I put screen protectors on my iPad's and use a case to protect them from drops.

9. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

You quoted the wrong guy ;-) And I hate screen protectors, IMHO useless and just make more trouble than benefits.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Noooo, I quoted you regarding toughened glass. The rest was for the OP and it doesn't matter whether you hate screen protectors, that's your biz not mine.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Whether one scratched or not has nothing to do with whether or not the other breaks when dropped. Gorilla Glass can scratch and it can break. It's more resistant than regular glass but "I dropped my iPad and the glass broke" doesn't mean that it isn't Gorilla Glass. Details on the drop and how force is spread out or applied over a smaller area will affect whether the screen cracks or not.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is all about how lucky or unlucky you are when it falls.

You are not lucky. If they make glass hard enough to be scratch resistant, it also make it more brittle.

15. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

The iPhone 5&5S is a bit more resilient as the glass and LCD are laminated together increasing the strength, the iPad mini and air don't have this and the thinner glass and bezel make it quite fragile compared to the iPad 2,3 & 4.

16. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

aha this explains it i guess.

i was just shocked when it fell how easily the glass cracked.My iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s hell even my Macbook Air fell some many times on the same surface and even from worse angles and never had any scratches but when the iPad mini fell it was like how a glass of water falls, the glass was completely broken i'm just shocked i can't get over it.

17. 617aircav Suspended

These items are not meant to be dropped. The 5s that you claim to be stronger has been dropped by others who claim the 5s is weak.

18. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It depends on which part of the device hit the ground first.

If it fell perfectly face down with the smart cover on, it won't likely break. If it feel vertically with the corner hitting the ground first, then the glass is quite likely to shatter.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know if the rMini has gorilla glass or not, but like its first gen brother, it certainly feels thinner and more brittle. I'd say regardless of the make up, its definitely more fragile then an iPhone's glass. Perhaps because of the larger size of the glass, or the thinness, tbh why doesn't matter as much as the fact that it is more fragile.

20. 617aircav Suspended