Glassbook Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kellte2, Oct 16, 2008.

1. kellte2 macrumors regular

My very first mac, and I've been impressed, but I just noticed a weird thing going on in the top row of keys (Function Row).

It seems like some of my keys are somewhat slanted to the left. F1-F5 are all relatively noticeable. The escape key also makes a slight creak when its pressed (i think it sometimes rubs against the aluminum case). I know this seems nitpicky, but I was wondering if others had a similar issue.

$1600 is a lot to spend - I want it to be right.

2. msett macrumors member

I noticed that with mine also. Normally that stuff bothers me but I am trying not to let it bother me this time. Other then that, the computer is awesome!

3. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely know the feeling. As long as I'm not alone on this one, I won't mind. I'm generally very much of a perfectionist when it comes to new stuff like this, but I'm trying to let it slide.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Don't think you are being anymore picky than most people on these forums... I would not be too happy with a $1600 Laptop having a creaky keyboard. If it is that severe, bring it into an Apple store if that's convenient and have them take a look at it.

5. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

I can tell the reason the key makes noise, its rubbing against the case if it gets pressed at a certain angle.

I'm not sure why the function keys slope like they do, but I'm willing to live with it if I'm not alone.

6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

That is utterly unacceptable you owe it to yourself to take it back (preferably at least 6 times like some people here) I wouldn't be able to sleep if i had that problem. :)

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

take it back and tell them. most likely a manufacturing defect.

8. msett macrumors member

Anyone else have keyboard issues? or imperfections?

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

10. kanpachi macrumors regular

Noticed the keyboard defect as well on the one and only MacBook on display last night. The "R" key was slanted about 25-35 degrees CCW from the vertical. Pretty sure some other keys exhibited this problem as well albeit more minor.

I would go back and exchange it for another. Completely unacceptable. Why have Apple products degraded in quality so much over the past few years? Creaking cases, processor whine, yellowing material, defective NVIDIA MBP cards, uneven display lighting, screen flickering, broken hinges on MBAs, blah, blah, blah the list goes on. My friend said it best when he called Macs "the best looking piece of sh*t computer".

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ all products have defects. no exception of the mac. no processor has a "whine". that noise comes from the fan. the nVidia fiasco was not Apple's fault, nVidia chose TSMC as their fab to manufacture the graphic chip die. TSMC screwed hell over a few times and nVidia had to pay for it. UNeven display lighting is very common due to CCFL. It's an old technology and will be replaced by LED.

All computers that have CCFL (all PCs/Macs excluding the newer LED backlit ones) have uneven lighting. It's not unusual for CCFL. Screens will flicker, since there is a refresh rate. If you take a high fps camera and shoot it right at any screen, it will flicker. If the screen flickers that your eyes can notice, thats due to refresh rates as well. Hinges break if they are bent past their maximum. If it breaks spontaneously, that's unheard of.

Don't call me a fanboy, but 99% of the macs they ship are pristine condition. Some of them are defects that went undetected through the quality check. Apple allows you to return it within 1- year due to manufacturing defects, other companies give you a month to three months.

12. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried removing the key and putting it back on? Hopefully its something that can be easily fixed :eek:

13. f3ynm macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my keyboard. The Q key was slanted and the A, S, and D keys made sounds rubbing against the case. I took the Macbook back to the Apple Store and they replaced it.

14. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

My escape key makes a creak, but only when its pressed at a certain angle. I fixed all my slanted keys.

Did your keys creak EVERY TIME or was it when they were pressed a certain way?

15. Munitalp macrumors 65816

How did you get your keys fixed? By just removing them and putting them back?

16. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems absurd, but I found it on the official apple discussion thread.

Get a fingernail in under the left side of a key in question and prop it up for a few seconds. I counted to ten, but that's hardly scientific. I did that to each one of the keys that i felt exhibited an excess lean. Maybe not after the first run, but after doing that a few times to each key this morning when watching TV, I got it to the point where the lean is hardly noticeable at all. I'm happy with the result - especially since I'd loaded over 100GB of data on to this machine, synced it in iphoto/itunes, etc. Didn't want to return

Hopefully others will share the good results.``

17. f3ynm macrumors newbie

Not every time but, as you said, when they were pressed at a certain angle. In fact I didn't notice it after a couple of hours of use.

18. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Thanks, good info. Reminds me that I'll have to check the apple.com boards again (after years) when my MB arrives in a few days :)D)

19. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

Whoa, I don't like the sound of this. Mac has always been a perfect machine (except for the times with the creaking cases and other defective stuff) and I don't want to see keys leaning to one side every time I'm going to use it. That kinda destroys the perfect-looking Mac. I hope Apple will fix this soon.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

yeah. totally destroys it. may as well throw it out. :rolleyes:

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

yes, macs have always been perfect machines except for when they weren't

22. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my escape key, as well as a few other keys...I also actually noticed a difference in texture on my trackpad in the upper left hand corner. It almost feels like it is cracked underneath, although its not visible to the naked eye. The only way you can see, what I can feel, is if you tilt it at an angle, and then it almost looks like the area was cracked and water got in there or something...pretty weird, think i should take it back? The computer is only like 5 days old or whatever...seems like these defects are showing up pretty quick for a new product..:(

23. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Macbook Pro has same issue with function keys

I've got the new MB Pro and it has about 5 function keys that are really slanted . I've tried lifting one end for a few seconds but it doesn't fix it all the way and one key returned to the slanted state after a couple presses. I'm not sure if it's going to be a functional problem later on but I think it's mainly cosmetic. I can't decide if I want to try and go all the way to a store and fix it or just live with it. Other than the key issue this machine is absolutely incredible.

24. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

All my keys are flat and square with each other. So far all of them have nice action when typing. I don't think I've actually used every key yet, but the ones that I have used have felt good.