GlassBook Pro CPU Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astudentis, Nov 1, 2008.

1. astudentis macrumors regular

Hello...ween!

Just a quick quest

Is it normal for the cpu (2.4GHz) to hit 72 degrees Celsius without the fans kicking? (they are still running at the base 2000rpm)...

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, the max temp of the CPU is around 105C. Pump the fans with smcFanControl if you feel the need to.

3. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

does that anyhow go against apple care warranty?

4. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

Absolutely not, those fans are made to go harder then 2000RPM, however, there live span will be much lower if they run higher RPM all the time.

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I use SMC and keep my fans at 4000rpm. And if I player the computer game Team Fortress 2, I'll max it out at 6000RPM or else it'll reach like 170 Fahrenheit.

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I use SMC and keep my fans at 4000rpm. And if I player the computer game Team Fortress 2, I'll max it out at 6000RPM or else it'll reach like 170 Fahrenheit.

7. fireloss macrumors member

In fact, it does.

8. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

care to elaborate

9. Silentzio macrumors newbie

hot cpu

My macbook pro (late 2008) does the same, i converted movie with isquint, and the cpu went all the way up to 82 degree celsius and nothing happens with the fan rpm.

my old white macbook the fans go up to 6000 when converting.

Shouldn't the fan start spinning extra when cpu reaches above 70, and go for full at 85, or have i misunderstood this?

10. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Watching flash, the core temperatures go dangerously high.
    On this mac pro and my previous imac the fans refused to kick in.
    Results, a Fryed Imac Graphics/logic board.

If apple would configure mac sox to run the fans higher, when the core temps reach 70c then I think we would not be having this conversation.

I hate having to rely on smc fan-control and wish the operating system would do it for me . (properly)

Just glad I know now , and wish I knew before my imac became irreparably damaged!

11. Silentzio macrumors newbie

I installed fan control and now the fans can still idle at 2000 rpm, but with low threshold 55C and high 78 i feel much better.

when converting movies now, the processor stays at 66C instead of 84-85.

That feels good!

12. allanibanez macrumors regular

I've had my 2.8Ghz up to 105 degrees C with the fans at about 6000 rpm if i remember correctly. Thats what video rendering does to your mbp...bloody glorious isn't it! The amazing thign was, even with the fans going nuts, it was still pretty quiet compared to how i imagined it to be.

13. buswheel macrumors newbie

I did test today on this, while encoding a dvd using handbrake. I was using SMC, but I didn't go nuts trying to keep things cool.

What I found is that it tends to get hot around the top left of the keyboard (where I would definitely class it as toasty), and from there it tends to conduct to the rest of the case. The temperature seemed to rise slowly (took about 30 minutes to go from 60C to 70C) I think my max temp was just under 80C.

I think the next revision could do with a couple of vent holes between the keyboard and the hinge just to let a little extra air out, as I think the lack of a clear escape path is the main issue with the design. If you do a lot of intensive stuff I would recommend placing it on a stand to get a bit more air flow, perhaps even with a fan.

NOTE: It was pretty warm here today (Got to 35 C outside today - and I don't have aircon)