Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Like Lethal, I go to Costco. My last pair cost under $150, I think the eye exam is about $45.

I'm amazed that people spend so much on glasses!

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
When money was really tight I just went to Walmart Optical Center and paid under $100 for visit, frames, and lenses. And that pair lasted for several years, but more recently I went to a good eye center to get anti-glare lenses and I have been amazed at the difference. My current pair cost about $400 without a doctor's visit but there is almost no glare and people can actually see the color of my eyes through the lenses.

nicque

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
i got some oakleys for like $140 for everything including transitions. its less than the frame even costs but its only cause my dad works at a place that owns and eyeglass factory so he gets them at the real prices without the markup value. they probably wouldve been like 300.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I have paid up to $300 before for some designer frames, not including lenses, without a doc visit as I had my prescription. But there is this place called America's Best in Omaha, NE that I got a checkup and new prescription, a levi's frame :rolleyes:, timberland frame, one clip on sunglass set, and lenses for $69 (including tax) They are cheap frames and lenses, but I just got them because they look fine and are cheap for when I go do things I don't want to mess up my good glasses in, but need to wear them, like the gun range. $34.50 is a bargain compared to hot brass in the eye!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
OP, sans insurance, my optical exam was approximately $100 (insurance paid that full amount, though, whew).

My frames and lenses were ridiculously expensive. :eek: I really don't feel comfortable saying exactly how much. I figure, the last really nice pair of glasses I had, I kept and wore for four years. I assume I'll do the same for my new and current pair. Suffice it to say, they were more than a couple hundred dollars.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Like Lethal, I go to Costco. My last pair cost under $150, I think the eye exam is about $45.

Costco rocks like Slayer. The only glasses I might "break the bank" on though is a pair of prescription Oakley sun galsses. My eyes are a bit light sensitive (indoors I'm fine but outdoors I need shades even on completely overcast days), I live in SoCal, I spend a fair amount of and time outdoors. In the past I've had difficulty finding sun glasses that meet my needs at typical glasses stores.

Lethal

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Costco rocks like Slayer. The only glasses I might "break the bank" on though is a pair of prescription Oakley sun galsses. My eyes are a bit light sensitive (indoors I'm fine but outdoors I need shades even on completely overcast days), I live in SoCal, I spend a fair amount of and time outdoors. In the past I've had difficulty finding sun glasses that meet my needs at typical glasses stores.

Lethal

I'm looking for a pair of wraparounds for cycling but haven't seen much that I like. I don't like the insert kind, I know they'll just fog up. This company seems to be pretty affordable. My old pair will last me for the rest of the year but next year I'll probably spring for the pair called "The Fly". Costco doesn't have a huge selection of plastic frame sunglasses.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
my frames and lenses were a bit more than i'm comfortable with, $350 altogether, but the eye exam was free. :eek: i go to a korean optometry that does that sort of thing.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Quick side note, while Optometrists/Opticians jack up the price of frames by hundreds of percent, they do not typically do the same on lenses.

They will get you on "extras", as others have mentioned, like anti-glare. Oh, and anti-scratch coating is a POOF!, car undercoating like scheme.

When it comes to sunglasses and brand names, the sellers are within a contractual price to keep the value of their products the same everywhere. So you cant usually get much of a discount on sunglasses like Maui Jims or Oakleys. Unless you know someone who works for an outlet or factory.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Quick side note, while Optometrists/Opticians jack up the price of frames by hundreds of percent, they do not typically do the same on lenses.

They will get you on "extras", as others have mentioned, like anti-glare. Oh, and anti-scratch coating is a POOF!, car undercoating like scheme.

When it comes to sunglasses and brand names, the sellers are within a contractual price to keep the value of their products the same everywhere. So you cant usually get much of a discount on sunglasses like Maui Jims or Oakleys. Unless you know someone who works for an outlet or factory.

I agree that a lot of antiscrath coatings are crap and I have had several cheap coating start to peel off which was worse than scratches. My current pair of glasses, however, has an antiscrath lens which is guarenteed for a year to be completely scrath free or they replace it at no charge. I have had them about 8 months and so far they are perfect.

I'm looking for a pair of wraparounds for cycling but haven't seen much that I like. I don't like the insert kind, I know they'll just fog up. This company seems to be pretty affordable. My old pair will last me for the rest of the year but next year I'll probably spring for the pair called "The Fly". Costco doesn't have a huge selection of plastic frame sunglasses.

I don't know how bad your vision is but if it is pretty bad, wraparound glasses can be difficult to get. It is hard for them to make the lens with so much curvature. In general the higher your perscription the flatter they have to make the lenses.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
agreed on the general ineffectiveness of the anti-scratch coatings....my husband once got glasses with the coating and it was gone within the week...then they just looked dirty all the time even though they weren't.

back on topic, we both had our exams a few weeks ago.

for me
plastic Nine West frames - $209
thinner lenses - $90
exam - $47
plus $80 for contacts and another $43 for a contact lens "fitting"....pfft.

for the husband
plain ol' metal frames - $50
plain ol' lenses - $43
exam - $47

moral of the story is the price really depends on how expensive your tastes are/how much you value the quality and/or stylishness of your frames. :)

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I think mine were just under $600, most likely because they say Versace in very small print on the inside of the frames. :) I also opted for the transition lenses that shade when you go out in the sun. I also got a free pair of cheap ass glasses when buying these- I hate them and only where them when painting.

It's funny- I went to my eye doctor to look at what they had. My old glasses had those magnetic shades that attach to the front of the glasses to turn them into sunglasses. I loved those because you could not at all tell that the were attached and the sunglasses worked tremendously well. I wanted something similar and it was about $280. I said I'd come back, that I didn't really want to spend that much. I took a stroll over to Cohen's Optical in the Freehold Mall to see what they had. The woman working there looked at my face and then pretty much said "let's try something a little crazy, and see what these black, thick frames look like on you." I saw them, said I was thinking the same thing, tried them on, and then bought them. I didn't care that they cost so much- they looked and felt great!

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I agree with the cost range most others have given - generally about 100 for the exam, then the actual glasses will be around 250 or up, depending on the frames you pick, and whether or not you are getting extras (like anti-scratch, anti-glare, etc). FWIW, my mom tried an anti-glare pair and thought they were worse than the regular lenses!

Watch for sales, etc. Also, if you are a member of AAA (the auto club), you get a 30% discount at Lenscrafters on both frames and lenses. I'm actually not a member, but they let me use my mom's card (and I'm 27 years old - it's not like I'm a kid), so that's something to keep in mind as well - you might call around to various places in your area and see what various discounts they accept.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I've been wearing prescription glasses for 35 years. I've had everything from cheap Walmart ones to Armani frames with Nikon super high index lenses. The cheap ones always come with compromises. The grinding is flawed, the lenses eventually warp, the frames disintegrate after a year or so, they never seem to fit properly no matter how much adjustment is done. The Armani's were my favorite by a long stretch. My next pair won't be cheap (circa $700 with Transitions) but I will hopefully keep them a while.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have terrible eyesight as well. I can't read anything that is not 4" in front of my face without my glasses or contact lenses. I paid about $1,200 for a year supply of daily disposable contact lenses and a fairly decent set of frames (Burberry). The daily disposable contact lenses were worth every penny. I don't ever have to worry about cleaning or storing my lenses overnight in a case.

You should get some glasses like this guy from The Trailer Park Boys. J/K:D

Attachments

• Bubbles.jpg
    Bubbles.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 38

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MIne were about $500 US dollars all up (¥10000 for the test, around ¥10000 for the lenses, and maybe ¥25000 for the frames), which I thought was quite expensive (in my world, prices haven't changed in the last 5 years ;)). I bought them anyway because my frames were sweeeeeeet. :)

Frames are the biggest ripoffs, by far. Think about what they are, what they do, and how they make them. Lots of plastic lenses are so expensive due to the brand, and the brand has nothing to do with quality. Generally, I don't buy things based on brand, but this is especially true when discussing things like glasses. I'm willing to pay for aesthetics or quality if I notice the difference, but paying for brand-name frames is quite silly.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I don't know exactly how much they cost, but it was about 500$.

The frames are pretty much "no name", but I have Essillor Crizal lenses. I had to get them thinned too, because at -3,5 dipopters, they started to show up on the side.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
holy thread revival... 3 years late

that said:
around 300 € for the Freudenhaus frame
around 300€ for the Zeiss glasses
wear them every day which makes it worth it

and for comments about sunglasses costing more less the same everywhere: hardly a surprise since 90% of all brands are owned/manufactured by 2 italian companies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safilo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

that's why for sunglasses i'm wearing one of the Safilo house brand .. which is identical in quality to more expensive ones but costs less

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
MIne were about $500 US dollars all up (¥10000 for the test, around ¥10000 for the lenses, and maybe ¥25000 for the frames), which I thought was quite expensive (in my world, prices haven't changed in the last 5 years ;)). I bought them anyway because my frames were sweeeeeeet. :)

Frames are the biggest ripoffs, by far. Think about what they are, what they do, and how they make them. Lots of plastic lenses are so expensive due to the brand, and the brand has nothing to do with quality. Generally, I don't buy things based on brand, but this is especially true when discussing things like glasses. I'm willing to pay for aesthetics or quality if I notice the difference, but paying for brand-name frames is quite silly.

That is general how I run for choosing my glasses. I do not bases my chooses off brand but more based on look at quality.

That being said I do have brands I trust more than others because they have do have a reputation of good quality or they have done pretty well on a torcher test being worn by me.

My last 2 frames were made my Oklay and they held up pretty well and at the end of their lives they both suffered pretty much destruction blocks from me. My first pair was finished off by me walking into a glass window and I bent them beyond repair and the other my brothers dog go a hold of them. Mind you both went threw falling asleep in them. Being step on and everything.

My current glasses are made by Nike and are the flexon metal (memory metal) I think with out insurance after lens and frame they were around 600ish. Frame was about 240 and the rest was in lens and add on.

I have learned in glasses you do get what you pay for. The more expense frames hold up a lot better to abuse. I personally try to avoid having the brand logs being really flashy. On my Oklays it was metal frame that had the small Oklay 'O' on the side that was colored very close to the frames color. The other thing that was if I took them off it had the classic oklay straight back frame design but I like that style so not a big deal. It was not noticiable when wearing.

My current ones have a small Nike symbal on the front but you have to look to see it.

I did not choose them because of the brand but because they look good on me and were comfortable. The Oklays brand I well recomend to people for glasses because they hold up well. Right now I would go the same for Nike ones.

Now I have seen people who have gotten Prada glasses for their main glasses because It was Prada. They just do not look right for every day glasses. I like mine to complement my features. Not be the focus.

Either way my total last appointment between everything was around 800 with out insurance. I pad 311.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.