Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickM

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
USA
I have the glassy (or is it glossy?) screen and I simply love it.
Yes, if I point a flashlight at it, or face it toward the sunny sky, I will see some reflections. However, I do neither. So, I love it!

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
That problem could solved once you calibrate the screen. So, your point is moot.
Yeah. On the other hand, if the consumers (who look at the graphics that professionals make) are all on glossy screens with super-vibrant, oversaturated colors that jump out at ya, we might have to adapt. What looks like a nice, muted red on your screen could look like a traffic light for the end user.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Biggest liar ever. I can get those reflections every time I go to the Apple store on every single unibody. Even using my friend's UniMacbook I get those reflections. Stop lying or be in denial. The fact of the matter is there is reflections, you just choose not to see them.

Glossy vs Matte is completely personal preference, one isnt better than the other. These comparison threads are nice, so that people can make informed decisions before they purchase. I don't understand why people have to pick each other apart to prove one is better than the other. Buy what you like, its that simple.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I love the matte screen but hate the bezel around it - they need to fix that...once they do I think it will be great.

Awesome comparison - nice work.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I agree. I think I like the look of the black bezel. This is a shift from what I originally thought when the new MB's came out. I thought it was kind of fugly. It seems to have grown on me. :)

To the OP. Well done. Excellent comparison. What a contribution.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It always amuses me how some people get all wound up because their preference for display characteristics isn't shared by all...

The issue is simple, and it isn't which type of display is better...that's all subjective. The issue is choice. People on this thread are expressing their preferences, and thus the choices they would make... if only they could. Apple did the right thing by bringing back the matte choice for those who want it, and leaving the existing glassy choice for those who like it better. I can only imagine the outcry if Apple did what they did before when they eliminated matte, and this time eliminated the glassy. Same story, just switch the players.

So, for all you emotional types: What's wrong with letting customers have a choice? I haven't really heard a valid reason anyone can come up with, especially if it's their choice which is eliminated.

I want all Apple customers to be happy, because I want Apple to be around for a long time. The Microsoft world gives me the creeps. (just thought I'd throw that little poke in there...;))

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
It always amuses me how some people get all wound up because their preference for display characteristics isn't shared by all...

The issue is simple, and it isn't which type of display is better...that's all subjective. The issue is choice. People on this thread are expressing their preferences, and thus the choices they would make... if only they could. Apple did the right thing by bringing back the matte choice for those who want it, and leaving the existing glassy choice for those who like it better. I can only imagine the outcry if Apple did what they did before when they eliminated matte, and this time eliminated the glassy. Same story, just switch the players.

So, for all you emotional types: What's wrong with letting customers have a choice? I haven't really heard a valid reason anyone can come up with, especially if it's their choice which is eliminated.

I want all Apple customers to be happy, because I want Apple to be around for a long time. The Microsoft world gives me the creeps. (just thought I'd throw that little poke in there...;))

this is what i tried to say in the very beginning. telling ppl their opinions are wrong is just well....wrong.

ps - you should put some sunglasses on in your advatar pic

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing wrong with choice, but if you want choice you couldn't have picked a worse manufacturer. Aside from iPod Nano being available in all the colors of the rainbow, there aren't really any choices, just a very spartan product line. They've been constantly narrowing the window of choice for many years now, with fewer and fewer color options, fewer and fewer BTO options, and the only logical conclusion is that they hope to one day reach a one-size-fits-all stage where desktop machines have been eliminated and all they have is a single laptop with no BTO options. And we'll all wear identical blue uniforms with the Apple logo and an iPhone implant in the right temple, watching Steve on the big screen... and the irony meter goes up to 11 when you consider Apple's vintage 1984 commercial.

Removing options is perfectly in line with their general obsession with elimination of things... ports, controls, buttons, bling, keys, cables... I laughed for about 5 minutes when they announced the new iPod Shuffle with no buttons whatsoever, it's something I've joked about for years and then they actually go and do it. I guarantee you that they HATE having to offer the MBP 17" in a matte version, every fibre of Steve's being screams and writhes in agony at the thought of offering options.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Rest assure the glossy versus matte debate is a matter of personal taste.
Better quality can´t really be proven. But since you have made a pitch here
for the matte screen, I will make on for the glossy:

I did a side to side comparism with my friend. Both agreed on first sight, without any further need what-so-ever for more testing, the glossy screen is better. Go glossy for quality, go matte for matteness.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I do not know how people can use a mirror in front of them and like the reflections.

First of all - I like matte better than glossy.

Secondly, Matte displays should be a choice - just as much as glossy should be a choice when purchasing. Apple has to get over themselves thinking they know what is better for a user, and members have to get over themselves thinking that one is inherently better than the other. They both have their pro's and con's, and there is no clear winner - only one option that is right for a particular user.

And lastly, I believe that's the whole point of a mirror. You look into it, infront of you, you make yourself look pretty and you like the reflection :p Oh wait, you're talking about a laptop, not a mirror :rolleyes:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
While backing up your argument for why matte is better - you said the pictures do not do justice for it and it is much better in real life.

That alone shows that your thread is utter pointless and that photographs to compare displays is useless.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I laughed for about 5 minutes when they announced the new iPod Shuffle with no buttons whatsoever, it's something I've joked about for years and then they actually go and do it.

Me too.

Then I thought: "Well, if I bought one just for running, it's more than bearable."

My problem is that I can't control it with my new earphones, which are far better than the new Apple in-ears. For running purposes, I wouldn't really need control over the tracks, but volume control would be nice. I'm not exactly dying to spend even more money for a pair of compatible earphones just because Apple's $79 mp3 players require such a purchase to make them bearable (the included earphones are useless). My earphones are ace. Apple's aren't.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
(oops, double-post....)

While backing up your argument for why matte is better - you said the pictures do not do justice for it and it is much better in real life.

That alone shows that your thread is utter pointless and that photographs to compare displays is useless.

You can't see the difference in image quality between the new 17" MBP displays and the old 15" MBP in the images because the number of pixels in the image are far less than the pixels on the display. Your photo probably needs (at least) twice the number of horizontal pixels, and twice the number of vertical pixels l (i.e., at least 4 times more pixels in your photo than the 2.3 megapixel (1920 x 1200) screen) to be able to capture the difference in screen quality. This assumes that your photo only captures the laptop's screen, and nothing else (although their sides have different ratios (1.6:1 versus 1.5:1). This also assumes his lenses are adequate for the job, and his camera has a decent sensor.

So I think he's right.

Regardless, he was mostly comparing reflections, not image quality. What he said about his photos not representing image quality doesn't take away from the strength/effect of the reflections on what you'd see. It simply means you'll have to take his word on the fact that the 2 new 17" MBPs look better than the 15" MBP.

His observations about the reflections seem pretty fair to me. ;)

I'd love for the same comparisons to be done in his room during the day though. ;)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Me too.

Then I thought: "Well, if I bought one just for running, it's more than bearable."

My problem is that I can't control it with my new earphones, which are far better than the new Apple in-ears. For running purposes, I wouldn't really need control over the tracks, but volume control would be nice.

I'm not exactly dying to spend even more money for a pair of compatible earphones just because Apple's $79 mp3 players require such a purchase to make them bearable (the included earphones are useless). My earphones are ace. Apple's aren't. If high-ish end earphones compatible with the new Shuffle are released, I wouldn't want to buy another set of high-end ones.

I'm still considering the purchase though. :eek:

They could make a short cable with the remote buttons and a headphone jack on it, so you could plug in any headphones... but if you ask me, they just went too far this time, and I hope this experiment flops so they don't get even funnier ideas in the future...

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Grow the hell up man. I wrote what I experience and was not condescending nor rude to anyone, unlike your pathetic self. I realize others may experience this issue, but I do not. Take it or leave it, your still pathetic in the end.

Giving false information is worse than being condescending.

SecondDealer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Awesome pictures and report, it's just too easy to make a case for every type.

I personally have the 15" MBP with the Matte screen, I chose to go matte because the way i look at it, if you're truly looking for an amazing picture and awesome quality you can invest in a nice tv or monitor, however matte is simply more practical for everyday use. I have to admit that I have no experience using the glassy models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.