Glenn Frey Dies at 67

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Jan 18, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We have angered the rock gods. RIP.

http://variety.com/2016/music/people-news/glenn-frey-dead-eagles-guitarist-1201682392/

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And to be honest, that scares the **** out of me. I mean, we've had these people who are just straight musical legends, and the thought of going on without them sucks, especially with what we have in their place. We don't cherish them enough.

BL.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sad truth is the record companies don't want anymore legends. They want quick pop hits that they can easily turn out for cheap.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    Being born in 1980 I feel that I missed all those great acts. I gravitate more to the 70's hits that todays generation just doesn't appreciate.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Me as well drove a thousand miles to see that concert, damn I am getting old all my favorites from when I was younger are doping like flies lately..

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Know how you feel. I was born right between On the Border and One of These Nights. So by the time I finally heard anything like rock music, they split up. If it weren't for a friend at the time wanting to see them and being a huge Eagles fan, I wouldn't have picked up their music, except for something soulful they did, like One of These Nights, or I Can't Tell You Why.

Caught this from their RRHoF induction:

That... I did not know. I knew Hotel California made bank, but thought that their earlier albums had some killer, lotsa filler. Glad I was proven wrong as I own every Eagles album, including their last. Only band to this day that could perfect the 5-part harmony.

BL.

8. JamesMike, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well said. Dude put Axel Foley and Miami Vice on the map.

BL.

10. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

2016 is off to a real crappy start. Really disheartening. :(

Rest in peace Glenn, I'm sorry to know that I won't hear new songs from your wonderful voice, but thankful that we have what we have.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Very depressing news indeed. RIP Glenn, you will be missed :(

12. rhett7660, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both. Holy smokes do I feel me age and these guys and gals were doing this when I was just a youngster!

RIP Mr. Frey.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Another legend gone. Another guy I never remotely thought of as "old" - or had any idea had some sort of serious health issues. Glenn Frey was selling out stadiums and arenas with the Eagles just a few months ago.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. And some of their stuff was not just brilliant, but utterly timeless.

RIP Mr Frey.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

One of my favorite groups when I was growing up. Very sad to hear this. I was also lucky enough to see them on their Hell Freezes Over tour. Great music.

A couple of years ago, we drove from Colorado down to Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon. When I passed the exit sign for Winslow, Arizona I started to sing Take It Easy. My 23 year old daughter sang with me and my wife and son looked at us like we were nuts.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Next time you go through there, jump off the freeway, and take Business I-40 (route 66) through Winslow. Stop at 200 N. Kinsley street. You'll find something rather fitting:

https://goo.gl/maps/AHhy1yodY272

BL.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wanted to stop, but we were trying to do the drive in one day and we were pressed for time.