Glimmerblocker for Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Psychomiko, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Psychomiko macrumors newbie

Just got the new ipad3, and I'm new to ipads. I have a macbook pro and have used Glimmerblocker for the mac that has really seemed to help block redirects and junk adds from google. So I tried downloading glimmerblocker for the ipad but received a message from safari saying that it could not download this file.

I have since discovered that the mac and Ipad run on different operating systems so that what works on mac will not necessarily work on the ipad. So I guess it's totally normal that it could not download, so just wondering if there's a program like glimmerblocker that's recommended for the ipad. Also I use Clamxav on the mac and wondered if it was recommended to use an AV program on the ipad or if it's just overkill and a waste of space. The ipad won't be used as much for internet access as the mac so it may be too much, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help or advice!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Unfortunately, the only adblocker for iOS is a jailbreak tweak, and so far the new iPad hasn't been jailbroken.

3. Nightprowler macrumors regular

They are not free but Atomic Browser (my preferred) or iCab have variants of adblock.

You might need to go into settings to turn them on as I think the blocker is off by default.

4. Psychomiko thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I appreciate all the help. I guess for now I'll just go without an ad blocker. Has anyone who is running an ipad without an ad blocker had any problem with malware or is the operating system similar to the mac in that you have to download something with an administrator password in order to get malware or spyware? Thanks again.

5. adenbeckitt macrumors member

It's 99.99% impossible for anything malware-like to be installed on an iPad without it being jailbroken and even then you'd have to be reckless and install some shady stuff.

Besides, whenever exploits such as the pdf ones are found they're used for jailbreak(me) rather than nasty stuff.

You're safe.

6. Psychomiko thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet. Thanks. One more question. What does jailbroken mean? Sorry, new to ipads.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You sure are new to the iPad! Within 2 weeks 95% of ur browsing will be done on it...And not the Mac....True story!