GlimmerBlocker - HTTP 400 error, invalid port number

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stodge, May 5, 2010.

1. stodge macrumors member

I'm using GlimmerBlocker but when Native Instrument's Service Centre application tries to check for updates, it returns an HTTP 400 error: invalid port number. I've read some of the GB documentation but I'm completely stumped. I'm really new to Macs/OSX as well - so any suggestions how to proceed with this? Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What do you mean by GB? Odds are GlimmerBlocker's the cause. If disabling it causes the updater to work normally, you've found the culprit. Does GlimmerBlocker have settings you can configure? You may want to experiment with those.

3. stodge thread starter macrumors member

GlimmerBlocker is the culprit - I just don't understand how to configure it (or what filter to add) to let the updater through.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In situations like these, your system's log files can be enormously helpful in tracking down exactly what's going on so you can fix it. Console, which is in your Utilities folder, makes viewing logs easy, as well as searching them for relevant messages that give clues.

For instance, you may see messages in your log when the updater process runs, that look something like this:
    Code:
    5/5/10 8:25:00 PM NIUpdater [3455]: Host "www.example.com" unreachable
    5/5/10 8:25:23 PM NIUpdater [3455]: reason: Invalid port number (3000)

Those two lines, if they appeared in my log, tell me right away what the problem is: Something is filtering requests to www.example.com:3000.

5. stodge thread starter macrumors member