Glimpse of future iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spock, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I think Apple just showed us a glimpse of the future of the iMac with the new Pro Display, the stand in particular. It will take some time but I think when Apple is better able to mass produce that stand at a lower cost, a similar version will come to iMac or at least the iMac Pro. The ability to adjust the display like that has been on my iMac wish list since my iMac G4 was no longer usable. Like I said, I think it will be a few years but I don’t think Apple spent the money for R&D on that stand and mechanism for one exclusive product.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

2809E6EC-595E-4A3C-B748-4B043ECCB3BB.jpeg They had something similar back in the G4 iMac days. Though, the difference is the weight of the display which was less back then as the computer was in the bottom in the base. The iMac will get a redesign at some point. My guess is 2020 or 2021.

Apple could go back to G4 design but the issue if you do that is you cannot vesa mount the display then.

3. Zen_Arcade macrumors member

I’d welcome a return to something like the 2011 design. The current iMac design seems pointless - curves for the sake of them, sacrificing too much function (cooling and all that goes with it, expandability, etc.). So I would welcome a step towards the XDR display.

4. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Yea, the Pro Display does look like the 2011 iMac but with smaller bezels and more up-to-date.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.59.58 AM.png

5. goldbuffalo macrumors member

The new stand comes with a vesa mount. You can buy an imac with a vesa mount, so it seems to me that you can get this stand for your vesa optioned imac.

6. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

The new stand is magnetic and not a VESA mount, the VESA adapter is for the display itself.

7. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I’d be all over this with a G3-G4-like display stand. I miss my G3 iMac.

8. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I agree. I could see Apple going with XDR design for the new iMac and offer a traditional stand and support for that Pro stand so that the iMac and iMac Pro could be used in Portrait view. Going to have to wait though.

9. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

They will have to finally get rid of that chin if they do portrait mode on it, it would work but would sure look funny. My guess is that the new iMac Pro will have similar design as the display itself.

10. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Yeah that would look real funny with the chin sticking out to the side. Aren't we suppose to be getting USB 4/ Thunderbolt 4 too next year at a rumoured 80Gbps?

I'm bringing this is up as eGPU apparently take a 30% hit with Thunderbolt 3. I'm also interested to see what GPUs Apple puts into the 2020 iMacs. Apparently the Radeon Pro 580x struggles with 4K real time playback with 10bit at 60fps in Final Cut Pro X. The Vega 48 doesn't have this issue.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8