glitch on desk top

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by garyjcarr, Oct 7, 2010.

1. garyjcarr macrumors member

garyjcarr

I have a tiny icon sitting on my desktop that I cannot move, delete or open.Any ideas on removing it? Is the solution in Activity monitor? I went there but don't have a clue where the problem might be.
    Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 2.44.13 PM.png

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by PROCESS NAME to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

Then use the Print feature via CMD+P to save a PDF document of the Activity Monitor and attach it to your next post via the [​IMG] button.

3. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

glitch

Thanks for the quick reply. How do you recognize the culprit? What should I be looking for?

4. SkyNite macrumors member

Are you able to drag a selection rectangle around the icon to select it? If so, you can Get Info on it and change its permissions so that you are the owner and can read/write. Then you may be able to command-backspace to delete it.

5. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

glitch

I went into Activity monitor and there were no faults. I drew the square around the icon and went to GET INFO and this showed up. A folder with over 100 gigs.
    I checked permissions and it had me as read and write. When I held down command / delete nothing happened.

Attached Files:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you store any files or folders on the Desktop?
    The Desktop is located at Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Desktop.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

110GB? That is a pretty big folder. Very odd.

8. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

glitch

That's interesting. I went to HD/ USERS / and my name was listed twice as gary carr1 and gary carr2 and both had minus signs in red and when I clicked it on and went to GET INFO I did not have permissions to read or write. I would assume I have to go to permissions. Could you help me ou there?

Attached Files:

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Under what user name are you currently logged in?

10. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

glitch

I'm logged in under garyjcarr. Weired but the glitch dissapeared however my permissions are still negative.

11. SkyNite macrumors member

Your Get Info window is showing your Desktop folder, so you were not able to select the mystery icon in question.

Of course the Desktop folder is huge; you have all your photos in folders on the desktop waiting to be transferred, right?

Don't worry about (or mess with) those other folders in the Users folder right now. They are user folders not associated with your current account.

Are you sure this is actually an icon, and not part of your Desktop picture? What happens when you change the Desktop image?

12. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

Glitch

I tried that - same thing however like I said it's gone. You are right about the desktop folder. When I drew a rectangle and went to GET INFO it displayed the desktop folder I guess automatically. So I have no idea what the UFO was. Thanks for the advice - I won't fool around with permissions if I don't need to.

13. SkyNite macrumors member

That's a good idea. Anyway, 'glad it's resolved, albeit mysteriously. :)