Glitching/cutting out every 2-3 seconds

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kclives, Jan 11, 2014.

1. kclives macrumors member

Hi all,
    I have a standard/unmodified 2nd gen ATV and it's been unused for around 6 months until today - I set it up again on my new TV and I'm having a persistent problem: after booting it cuts out every 2-3 seconds.

For example: it loads to the home screen and I can navigate the menus then all of a sudden the screen goes black and the TV tries to adjust (as if someone has unplugged and replugged the device) and then the home screen will load back up. This repeats on loop no matter how long I leave it, and since the device reloads the home screen each time I can't even navigate to the settings menu to edit anything.

I've tried replacing the HDMI cable, the power cable and I've tested on a 2nd screen - still have the same problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? Wondering if it is worth taking to an Apple store or if it would be cheaper buying a new device as this one will probably be out of warranty?

Also is it possible to restore/update the device remotely or using the USB port?

Thanks! :D

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Yes you can restore/upate the device by the usb. Connect it to your computer and open iTunes. You can restore or update from there just like iPhone or iPad. This may fix your problem.