Glitchy graphics / no GPU acceleration? 6770M

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by mixel, Jun 23, 2016.

1. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Hi! Im running the beta on a Mid 2011 iMac (2.7Ghz i5 / 16GB RAM - AMD Radeon JD 6770M) - everything is slooow and dragging things around is jerky, i can see the window refresh swoop down (like what used to happen when kernel panics kick in). There's no transparency, and windows flicker like crazy..

Is this a known driver issue with the 6770M? Does anyone have a fix? I made a time machine backup, so I can just revert back, but it'd be nicer to fix it if possible, especially as its running so well for some people. :)

2. mixel thread starter macrumors 65816

mixel

Ok, so with a fresh install it seems to work.. using the transfer wizard to copy my stuff over from Time Machine..

It does it again when I copy stuff back in this way, so I'm guessing it's a .kext.

It was my Wacom Cintiq drivers! Now the graphics work as expected again after a driver update. :D

3. redpandadev macrumors member

There is definitely an issue with the 6770M drivers ATM. I have the same graphics and have found that there are frequent glitches. I have also found that the transparency is there, but the quality is awful - as if the blur effect associated with transparency is set to the lowest quality mode.

4. FNH15 macrumors regular

I've pulled up some UI elements which use translucency. What exactly are you talking about? Perhaps a clean install is in order?

Attached Files:

5. redpandadev macrumors member

Zoom in and check out the areas that I circled. In these areas you can see visible artifacting and lack of smoothing in the translucent blur effect. This is not what the same effect looks like on El Cap

Attached Files:

6. mixel thread starter macrumors 65816

mixel

I see weird horizontal lines in the transparency on your screenshot but that looks like jpg compression?.. I don't have those on mine? Since I've updated my Wacom drivers everything is normal seeming.

7. redpandadev macrumors member

Correct - it looks exactly like heavy jpg compression, but in fact it is rendered on the screen that way for me.