Glitchy Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SelfMadeCelo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

I tried searching but couldn't find much about this problem.

I have a unibody MB 2.4GHz.

Every once in a while, usually after a few days of going in and out of standby, I'll get some weird glitches. If I'm scrolling a list of files or long pages, instead of it scrolling smoothly I get these random white boxes. I've also noticed at times when using TextEdit and scrolling, some lines will get messed up, sort of like two lines combine. Also I noticed today when it goes to the screensaver it also does some weird glitches.

After I reboot it'll be fine until a few days later when it'll start up again. Any ideas?

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have the same model MB and I have never seen what you describe. It sounds like abnormal behavior.

3. SelfMadeCelo thread starter macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Hmmm...Maybe I should take it in then lol it just started happening a couple weeks ago. It's not bad but it's a little annoying.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Heimlich macrumors member

yeah actually if u look around on google, people are having the same issue. i have that too once in a while. It seems to be an issue with the OS. They have some discussions on the apple forums.
    The reason i didn't contact applecare is because it sounds pretty common and I don't know how they would fix it. But I'm pretty sure apple knows about this issue and they're looking into it.
    If you do contact applecare or go to a genius, tell me how it goes. I don't know what they would replace or if they could even really fix it.

For everyone else:
    You can easily check if the issue is happening by going to
    finder->applications(tile view)-> and scroll using two-finger scroll(not keyboard arrows).
    Then youd be able to see if it the graphics are glitching.
    Doesn't happen all the time though. A simple restart will temporarily fix it.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

When artefacts appear, it's usually the first signs of a failing video chip. I'd contact Apple if I were you.. Though it could be related to software glitches..

There's one way to tell.. If the artefact appears due to hardware failure, then it'll be impossible to screen grab it. If it's software related.. there's every chance you can grab it.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hey OP, I made a thread on this two weeks ago, no one was really of help hehe. But yeah I have the same issues, only w/ two finger scrolling. Happens every so often, but fixes itself after a restart. The thing is, I restart a lot, for Bootcamp and back into OSX so I don't see it a whole lot, but I have had the issue probably 4-5 times now.. I had a screen shot of it I'll find and post up here to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

8. SelfMadeCelo thread starter macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Wow tons of replies that I haven't read...

@ UltraNEO*: Ah I'll definitely have to try that next time it starts to happen. Thanks =)

@ aznguyen316: For me, it only looks like the picture when I'm using TextEdit. When I stop scrolling it'll end up like that and I'll have to scroll up or down again it fix it. Next time it starts I'll try to capture it and post it.

@ Heimlich: Hopefully Apple does know and gets it fixed. It's not a major issue but it is annoying. I think I'll wait a little while and see if anything gets fixed then see someone about fixing it.

Thanks all for the input =)

9. impreza98 macrumors member

If it looks like the text is tearing then its normal. applecare has known about it for a while and it doesn't look like anything is being done to fix it.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

oh wow, yeah the screen tearing.. so it's a known issue? Hmm okay I guess that makes me feel a bit better it's not my machine or something. It happens on all screens for me, safari, mail, etc.

11. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Do you have Safari 4?

I had the same issues after I installed Safari 4, I re-format my macbook because the format I had it on was Journaled Case-Sensitive (stupid me) and after that, the glitchy white boxes were gone.

12. SelfMadeCelo thread starter macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Now that I think about it, before I had Safari 4 it never happened...I'll try running Safari and then seeing if the boxes show up. After my last restart I've only been using Firefox and there hasn't been a problem.

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

trying to think if it happened before or after Safari 4. But either way I've removed Safari 4 and I believe it occurred still after but not sure since I restart very often to not allow this to occur yet.

14. sclough macrumors regular

I had this problem on my MBP. When I took it in, they replaced the MLB (probably because of the gpu issue with early 2008 MBPs) and it hasn't happened since. However, my brother in law, who also has an early 2008 MBP, took his in and they said it was a driver issue and he should re-install OSX. He did and hasn't seen the problem since. He actually said it was easy to do since he just installed OSX and then used Time Machine to put his documents and settings back. I want to say 10.5.5 is the one that fixed this problem for a lot of people. It couldn't hurt to re-install OSX and then let software update get you back up to 10.5.5 and see if it goes away.

15. sclough macrumors regular

What I'm trying to say is that this appears to be a driver issue and not a hardware issue if you read through the official Apple forums.

16. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I've seen this same issue in a mid 2008 MBP as well, just after he installed safari 4

17. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

this has been happening with me too. and it happens on firefox (thats what i use) and when i am watching a video and scroll white blocks appear where the video is playing. Also when i try to play spore it crashes. is my chip messed up?

18. John01021988 macrumors 6502

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

How about you read the entire thread, you'll find your answer :p

20. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

if this is towards me, then yes i did too, but i dont use safari 4. And the OP did install safari 4. I use firefox but it seems to have started after i downloaded safari 4...odd:confused::confused: