Glitchy Leopard Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArtOfWarfare, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I've had this problem come up several times. This is just the first time I thought to take a screen shot of it.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/ArtOfWarfare/missingdock.jpg

I've noticed 3 things are wrong...

1.) the dock is completely transparent
    2.) the names of files in a stack are just lines
    3.) the icons of files in stacks are missing completely

I've had this problem several times. Restarting finder seems to fix it but... I'd rather just not get the problem in the first place. What causes it, how can it be avoided?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

3. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

2.4 GHz
    24"
    2007 iMac

Edit: Actually, restarting the finder didn't fix it. Neither did doing the terminal killdock thing. I had to restart my computer to fix it.

4. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I have the same problem sometimes, but after a while it fixes itself :confused:

Same machine as you too.

5. worriedmac macrumors regular

worriedmac

Thats nothing. Yesterday my dock became transparent including the icons, but I could see a faint suggestion of them being there looking sorta like when you cloak in Halo. I thought it was cool and after changing spaces a few times it came back. Leopard is a bit buggy at the moment. Worst bug so far is when I was exporting a video from QT it froze my computer for about 20mins. At a guess I think there are a lot of leaks in the core stuff.

actually the worst glitch is the system losing a dvd drive and hd and I had to restart the computer for it to see them again.

6. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Yeah... I've noticed Leopard is really buggy. Haven't had anything that compromised my computer yet but I've had little irritating things like this with the dock, my mouse preferences being screwy (they keep reverting to defaults on their own.)

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Stupid Question by me but did you guys update Leopard/iMac's to latest versions?

8. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

The latest software update a couple of days ago broke my dock and my airport. Before that I had had no problems with either one. The dock is not completely broken, it just disappears after a few minutes. Not a big deal, it's not that useful anyway and I can get to the programs just as easily through spotlight. Airport won't accept my passwords and I'm tired of playing around with it.

Right now I'm switching back to windows, since XP runs faster on my macbook and is rock steady. Just waiting for someone at :apple: to wake up and realise they need to seriously get off their butts and start fixing this bug-heap of theirs called Leopard.

9. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Not quite.

I don't have Security Update 2007-009 (Version 1.1)

But it doesn't mention specifically fixing anything about the dock. Unless one of the things they list that I don't know what are has something to do with it.

I guess I'll get the update...

10. kingfisher66 macrumors newbie

Problem might not be in dock.

I'm getting a pixel/digital affect when i go to video or load programs. Affects dock to and then happily fixes itself.

11. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I get a problem where the icons in the Dock are just black horizontal lines and to cure it I found that typing 'killall Dock' into Terminal sorts the problem. For those worried with the command, all it does is quits the Dock and the Dock disappears and then about 5 seconds later it relaunches as normal.
    You can also achieve the same result by killing the Dock process in Activity Monitor.

12. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm having problems with my Dock too - I'll remove/add things to my dock permanently but with each restart, it's back to how it was before I made the switches.

I'm doing the whole "remove from dock"/"keep in dock" thing, but it's still happening. I also tried restarting the dock, but when I did, it also went back to how it was before I made the switches.

Any ideas?

(I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard 10.5.1.)

13. iVersa macrumors 6502

I am having the same trouble as the thread starter and [this guy]

Both were posted in 2007 though, and still no solution on either thread?

Anyone know a solution yet?

14. kingfisher66 macrumors newbie

I havent heard a peep I wish someone wud post something to help fix this.

15. iVersa macrumors 6502

16. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Mine too.

But it's a reoccurring problem.

There are two things I suspect may be causing the problem...

1.) Custom dock graphics. (But I changed them back to the default a long time ago.)

2.) I have one of my bottom corners set as a hot corner to put my computer to sleep.

17. iVersa macrumors 6502

I changed my dock graphics and use both bottom left and right hot corners...

Problem hasn't reoccurred so far though.

18. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Give it awhile before you conclude that.

I think it's definitely become less common but it still seems to happen every week or two and so I have to restart or else my dock glitches up again.

19. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It still happens in 10.5.3... I just had it happen...

20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I can't get rid of Documents and Downloads permanently on my dock anymore. If I drag them to puff or whatever they reappear on reboot. WTF?