Global Change to Reply-To Address?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dorv, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Dorv macrumors regular

Ok... Complete Mac noob (though fairly tech-savy).

Recently converted (or, at least in the conversion process) from Windows with the purchase of my new Macbook. I plan on using it at work and at home, hopefully to replace my desktop at work to.

We have a simple pop email system (oh, how I truly miss the Exchange that my last job had), but our SMTP server is blocked from the outside world. When I'm not at work, I cannot send through it.

My workaround in the past, with Outlook, was to use my home Gmail account and SMTP server, but just to change the Reply-To setting in the accounts menu.

It does not seem that Entourage or mail.app have that ability, at least not at first glance (I've taken this setting for granted... Chatter on my Treo had it, and Outlook had it... Now that I have a Mac and an iPhone, neither do... BIG disappointment).

I've got a work around in a gmail account, but its not clean, and its not ideal... Just a short term fix.

Is there a way in either of these two applications to set the reply-to different globablly? I know I can change it in each email I send in mail.app, but I intend to send a lot of email from this computer if its to replace my desktop at work.

I've seen a fix at osxhints involving applescript, but the script is no longer posted. I've also seen a fix that involves making a change in the terminal, but that change is permanent, which doesn't work for me, because I move to different properties within the company ever six-eight months or so...

Anyone point me in direction of more recent fixes?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just because you cannot access you work smtp server from home, doesn't mean you can't send emails from that account. Any smtp server can be used. For example, I send emails from my work account at home, but I use my ISP's SMTP server.

3. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

Uh...

That's exactly what I'm talking about doing.

However, I would like the email to LOOK like its coming from the work mail (and when the receiver hits reply, my work email populates).

In the past, I've done this by changing the "Reply-To" address in Outlook.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What I am saying is that you CAN send email from your work email account using ANY smtp server.

Set up your work account in mail, then set up an additional outgoing mail server for home, then use that outgoing mail server to send mail from your work account while at home.

5. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I don't understand. I can't see my work SMTP server from home. I use my gmail SMTP server to send mail when at home, but it looks like it comes from my gmail account, not my work account. On my windows machine it didnt matter b/c I could set Outlook to force the reply to address to be my work address.

6. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, and swift... Irony at its best... I too live in Omaha....

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Really, how coincidental.

Anyways, I think you are confusing the mail account with the smtp server. The mail account determines the From address, whereas the smtp server just sends the mail. The mail account and the smtp server do not have to match.

For example, I send email from my work email account, using my ISP's smtp server. Because the mail was sent from my work account it says it is from my work account.

When you try to send a mail from your work account while you are home, I assume you get some message saying that it cannot send from that server, and gives you the option to choose another outgoing server. You should be able to select another smtp server (either you ISP's or gmails) and get it to send, and it should still be sent from your work account.

8. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

Its set to send through my Gmail SMTP server, and it says that it comes from my Gmail account.

Unless this is the problem: Gmail's SMTP server requires login authentication. If I knew of an SMTP server that didn't require me to login, that would probably work, right?

Worth a shot at least?

9. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

If there was an open SMTP server for me to try it would be blocked by everyone in the world.

Back to square one.

Send an email through my Gmail account shows it coming from my Gmail account. I know Thunderbird has the option I want, but as I understand it, it doesn't sync with the Address Book (which syncs with my iPhone), which is a must for me.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In your account settings, set it as follows:

Email Address: Your work email address
    Incoming Mail Server: Your work mail server
    User Name/Password: Your work account details
    Outgoing Mail Server: Your ISP's SMTP server

That should work :)

11. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

I have a similar (but slightly different) problem...

I currently use gmail and have Leopard mail set up to work with IMAP.

However gmail allows you to send mail "as" any one of a email address you've authorized (and prove you own). So I can send mail as it it comes from xxx@aaaa.com or xxx@bbbb.com depending on the situation. It basically sets the "from" and "reply-to" address, but leaves "sent from" as the underlying gmail address.

Is there a way to do this with mail?

12. Dorv thread starter macrumors regular

Nermel: Thanks.

That does work... However, it would only work when I'm at home (and thus with my ISP's SMTP server). I need something a bit more global, as this laptop replaces my desktop at work, and I travel with it.