Global data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moreconvienent, May 12, 2011.

1. moreconvienent macrumors newbie

A Verizon Wireless agent said, well at first she stated that Apple has not made any global capable devices, and then I mentioned that iPhones and iPads have been sold internationally, and that there was also an iPad ad with the military guy and his wife during a sonogram. Then she said Verizon Wireless does not carry any global capable Apple devices... is this true?

I'm just looking for something that will give me reliable access to the internet on a moving cruise ship, that's it (don't need phone service, but will go with whichever device costs the least each month). I at first, wanted something I can fit in my pocket, and inquired about iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 with their mobile broadband hotspot device, and then opened my mind to iPad, but she basically said I can't use any Apple device globally with Verizon Wireless... true or no? Is AT&T my only option?

Which device do you recommend for the circumstance mentioned above?

2. bbmiLo macrumors regular

Not sure if I entirely understood this, but if you just want internet access while on a cruise ship, they do have internet on those ships, you can easily get online with any smartphone or tablets via wifi, without paying international data charge.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Verizon iPhone 4, iPad 2, and mifi devices all use CDMA cellular technology and work in very few places outside of the US. The AT&T versions use GSM cellular technology, which is pretty much everywhere around the world.

As bbmiLo mentioned, you don't necessarily need cellular service to get Internet on the cruise ship if they have wifi.

4. moreconvienent thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but thousands of people using the same wifi connection(s), way too slow...
    That's why need something more reliable, like global data plan or one of those mobile broadband mifi devices.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

You could go to Canada and buy an unlocked iphone at an apple store there and thus have a truly global iphone. Or you could buythem unlocked online at places like ecgoon.com. Then all you would need is a sim card.

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you are on a cruise ship you are NOT going to be getting any cellular signal except the one provided by the cruise ship.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Pretty much this. Everything will be going through the same satellite connection. The only difference would be bringing your own satellite connection, which is probably too much hassle / out of your means anyway.

8. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

You have to buy wifi time on cruiseships. Last time I cruised it was 40 cents a minute or you buy a number of minutes for X dollars. No refund if you don't use all the minutes but it came to around 25 cents per minute.

9. moreconvienent thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand... Please clarify for me?

And spoke with AT&T agent, they also sell a Mobile Hotspot MiFi, with DataConnect Pass-Global for $24.99 for 20MB which lasts a month (no contract). She said I'd have to check with retail stores if I wanted to buy their Mobile Hotspot MiFi with just the DataConnect Pass-Global and without a regular DataConnect plan. Do you think the global pass would also work in the U.S. too, or is it specifically for abroad?

10. moreconvienent thread starter macrumors newbie

But I need a global data plan or third party device used with to provide reliable internet access abroad, and I think they won't let you sign up for just a data plan.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Abroad where, on the boat, or on shore at destinations?

Have you looked at the specific ship you'll be sailing on to see what cellular services they offer? It's not like there are cell phone towers at sea -- you're limited to whatever cellular services the boat offers. Do they even offer cellular data, or do they force you to use their wifi service?

As for thousands of people using the Internet simultaneously... Really? That must be a really boring cruise!

12. moreconvienent thread starter macrumors newbie

Abroad the actual ship.

Or at night... when people actually have the chance to settle down and need to use the internet. http://www.passporterboards.com/for...y-cruise-voyage/226895-wifi-disney-magic.html

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you want to get the internet anywhere, pick up one of THESE from your local home depot and mount it on the bridge. The unlimited data plan is $1063 per month. Should handle Netflix on the high seas just fine :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Its not like you're going to connect with your verizon mifi in the middle of the ocean. I dont think they setup any celltowers in the water:D
    The global data plans you asked about is when traveling to other countries that have GSM coverage like Europe, Canada etc....
    Not on a boat in the middle of nowhere.
    Ask the cruise ship customer service line for details on data you can use on the ship and how, where and how much.

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You think your going to get reception out in the ocean? Seriously?

Also probably not very secure.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

And even if the ship provides a cell signal that works with your phone, you will have to pay premium prices to use the signal. The ship charges quite a steep fee for cell calls, on top of whatever your regular carrier charges.

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You do realize that the majority of people on the cruise ship are more concerned with having a good time, and not sitting in front of a computer using the internet, right? So I don't think the wifi available on the ship will be slow. Unless something unforeseen happens and everyone decideds to use the internet at the same time. Which again, is highly unlikely.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have you ever actually been on a cruise ship? You'll have plenty of other stuff to do, either pay for overpriced WiFi/Cell connections or don't worry about it. I'd go with the latter.

19. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Do some cruise ships actually provide cell phone service on the ship?

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

They do, but there is a huge surcharge to use it since it has to go to shore via satellite.

21. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Yes, but you have to check with your carrier. For example, AT&T provides international roaming cell service on some ships at a rate of $2.49 per minute.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is insanely expensive. Last cruise I went on, I used the Internet for about 15 minutes. I was having too much fun.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Pretty much, between drinking, eating, hanging out, and spending time with the lady friend I never really felt the need to get online.

24. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Wow that is expensive. I didn't know ships even offered that. So I can make calls in the middle of the ocean. If I were to go on a cruise I'd have to get the international plan because I'd need to use my phone on land anyway. Do the ships make you pay to use it in addition to AT&T?

25. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

No additional charge by the ship. Cell phones are cheaper than ship to shore charges by the ship's communications system. Those can run $8-$10 per minute. So it's all relative.