Global Hardware Problem with iPhone 5S Camera Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by remigi, Jan 9, 2014.

1. remigi macrumors newbie

Hi All!

So I was recently on a holiday in Bali over new years and noticed a problem with the iPhone 5S camera on multiple occasions. When taking photos certain types of light would reflect strangely in the iPhone 5S camera and create artefacts on the photo. This could be seen in real time when taking the photo and once the photo was taken.

See the following example... - Has anyone else had this problem?

In the photo, notice Bali 2014 is reflected upside down above the image.

[​IMG]

2. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

That's strange, but maybe it's not the glass, could be an electronic blip. I would think if it was glass it would be a mirror image, but this reflection is not a mirror image.

3. gaanee macrumors 65816

Looks like a mirage effect, but its not a mirror image, its flipped left-right as well.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Bali is haunted and you've captured the work of a ghost.

5. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

How did this issue happening on your phone make it a "GLOBAL" issue ... I don't follow :cool:

6. cynics macrumors G4

That is an issue with certain camera lenses usually cheap SLR lenses. I have a Sigma that does that.

Try to replicate it a few times. It's generally a non issue because a lot of variables have to be met.

I wouldn't be surprised if it an issue with all iPhones of similar model but just so rare no one sees it.

7. remigi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just spoken with a friend and he has been having the exact same problem, also with an iPhone 5S. See the pictures below.

Notice the two dots in the sky in the first picture, and the bright green dot in the second. I also have pictures with the bright green dots, where they are on my shirt and face... so weird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I7guy, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

The dots are artifacts of the glass. Seasoned professionals with thousands of dollars of camera equipment can get those same artifacts if a cheap UV filter or cheap rotating polarizer is used.

I am able to replicate that type of thing putting a cheapo uv filter on a Canon L lens.