Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Global iPhone Shipments Up 10% in 2020 Compared to Previous Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple bucked a trend as falling global smartphone shipments in 2020 by increasing its shipment rate by over 10% compared to the previous year, claims a new report.

According to DigiTimes Research, global smartphone shipments suffered an overall 8.8% decline to 1.24 billion units last year, due in part to the crippling effects of the health crisis.

Despite that, however, worldwide shipments of 5G-enabled smartphones reached as high as 280-300 million units in 2020, up from the 20 million units shipped a year earlier, indicating a surge in demand for the faster data speed.

In the first quarter of 2020, global shipments "dove over 20% on year in the first quarter of 2020, fell by a double-digit rate in the second, and narrowed the decline to a single digit in the third, before staging a single-digit rebound in the fourth," according to the DigiTimes' figures.

Samsung and Huawei felt the impact worst over the course of the year, both seeing their shipments dip by a double-digit rate. Out of the top six smartphone brands in 2020, only Apple and Xiaomi managed to ramp up their shipments compared to 2019.

According to research conducted by Omdia, Apple's iPhone 11 was the most-shipped smartphone in the first half of 2020 and was the single most popular handset last year. Apple shipped an estimated 37.7 million ‌iPhone 11‌ units in 2020 – 10.8 million more units than last year's top-selling model, the iPhone XR.

Article Link: Global iPhone Shipments Up 10% in 2020 Compared to Previous Year

Reactions: Solomani

Serban55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2020
of course...iphone SE, iphone mini, a lot of discounts....iphones everywhere at every prince point now

Comment

arrowmouse

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
I doubt 5G is a selling feature for most, people are just buying the latest phones which happen to have it rather than it "indicating a surge in demand for the faster data speed". My LTE is already >150Mbps. 3G enabled mobile web, 4G gave us HD video/large games, seems 5G is more of a backend update that won't have many new consumer features.

Comment

Blackstick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2014
Sunny South Florida
It's odd because in 2020, for the first time in years due to being home all the time, I used my other Apple devices, notably my iMac and iPad - a LOT more than my iPhone.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It's odd because in 2020, for the first time in years due to being home all the time, I used my other Apple devices, notably my iMac and iPad - a LOT more than my iPhone.

In my region, where it was budgeted for over 1100 iPads for students for ‘distance learning’ through the pandemic, so you can see that Apple and the tech industry are very much important, because they’re a key piece to providing that technology necessary where grouping really isn’t condoned right now.

In some aspects, the tech sector is providing that bridge needed to work/learn from home, myself included with my career path.

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
of course...iphone SE, iphone mini, a lot of discounts....iphones everywhere at every prince point now
Even if this is true, isn't that why Samsung outsells. a phone in every price point, some good, some crap, but in every price point and every market imaginable

Comment

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
So those who tried to downplay the gravity of the pandemic because worried about losing AAPL money have wasted a lot of energy for nothing

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
No u missed it. Apple “bucked” the Pan Demic. Smartphone shipments dropped because of the pan but Apple STILL was able to grow sales
You didn’t read the article.
Sorry. While I did read the article, my “Pan. Demic.” response was admittedly lacking in detail.
Had I been more chatty, I might have mentioned something about people being cooped up for what has seemed like forEVER... Something about spending less due to things like not gassing up the car, not eating out as often, not paying for after school care, vacations cancelled... Something about people having more down time than they’re equipped to effectively navigate... Something about ‘one can only do so many puzzles’... Something about isolation and the human need for connection... Something about people feeling pretty down and, for some, shopping makes things less crappy... Something about iPhone being a desirable, if not luxury, device... Something about the most diverse iPhone lineup to date... Something about that combo, that imperfect storm, making for conditions where people might be more open to iPhone than they may have been previously... And maybe ending on something about not being one bit surprised to see Apple bucking market trends.
I might have P.S.'d with something about being unable to imagine the above scenario leading anyone to think “You know what I want to do with some of this extra scratch? What would really bring me a ray of sunshine in this otherwise overcast existence? I want to treat myself to a Galaxy Z Fold.”

Thanks for calling this out.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.