Global Zoom

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superxero3, Jul 3, 2009.

1. superxero3 macrumors regular

I was at an apple store today and i noticed something funny about one of the 3GS they had on display. It was zoomed in around 4 icons on the springboard, so i went up and pressed the home button, thinking it was just a picture, and someone trying to be funny. It was not a picture.

The home button brought me over to spotlight, and it was still zoomed in (only about 1/4 of the screen was showing at a time). The lockscreen was like this too. After some time i realized i could move the zoomed in part of the screen to have it zoom in somewhere else (much like on a mac when you zoom in and move the mouse) by simply pressing the top, bottom, left, or right side of the screen. The zoomed in part would move, and touching the screen to move the part that was zoomed in also affected the springboard (as if i was navigating the SB without being zoomed.

I was told, by a person wearing an orange shirt at the store that this was a glitch and it could be solved by a restart.. i grabbed the phone out of their hand and said i don't think it's a glitch. They shrugged and walked away.

When i would open an app, the screen would zoom out to reveal the full springboard, show the animation for opening an app, then zoom in to the same spot of the screen in the app, this same process would happen in reverse when i would close the app.

Because it was so animated when opening and closing apps (zooming in and out) Im wondering if i somehow stumbled upon a feature that hasn't been fully implemented in the iphone OS.

It was running 3.0 software.

any ideas?

2. MaskingTape macrumors regular

Its one of the new accessibility options in 3.0. You enable it in iTunes.

3. toughluck macrumors member

how?

4. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Just go into the settings on your iPhone. It is in settings > general > accessibility.

5. toughluck macrumors member

are you sure thats not just on the 3gs

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

What apple store were you at? Last time I was there I zoomed in one of the iPhones to 4 icons on first page, just curious if its the same one :p. Also, its only on the 3GS.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

8. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Actually it is, just checked the 2G and it wasn't there. I did not do anything on itunes to get it on the 3GS:confused:

9. circazero macrumors newbie

3gs Only

THIS FEATURE IS ONLY ON THE 3GS. IT CAN BE ACTIVATED UNDER SETTINGS >GENERAL>ACCESSIBILITY> ZOOM. :apple:

IT CAN ALSO BE ACTIVATED IN ITUNES WHEN YOUR 3GS IS CONNECTED.

10. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

An interesting setting.

Good for us near-sighted people.

11. superxero3 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the responses. I'm glad it's a setting and NOT a glitch! it was too perfect and animated to be a glitch. And i can confirm it's not on my 3G.

@mackmgg I was at an apple store in Buffalo, NY.