Globalive and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trainguy77, Apr 11, 2009.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have heard that the new cell carrier Globalive in canada won't be able to offer then iPhone because of the frequency spectrum they bought, is this true? I heard its something to do with the iPhone not supported the AWS bands. So far i am excited for this new carrier as they will be offering $40 unlimited minutes, data and texts. But we will see.

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

from the limited information available on globalive that i could find, it looks like they will be using AWS, which means you are correct in assuming the iphone will not work on their network.

3. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Well geez guess it's still more Rogers monopoly for the foreseeable future. I didn't realize they would be running a different version of 3G, seems similar to the T-Mobile vs. AT&T situation. I actually had hopes for Globalive. The CEO visited my girlfriend's class the other day and it sounded like he was actually pretty cool, interested in hearing complaints. Too bad, I was really hoping for some change. :(

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

$40 unlimited minutes data and text?
    link please

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/615352
    It mentions it later in the article and I have a copy of the actual report if you would like it.

Does anyone think that the next version of the iPhone may support these frequencies?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Probably not. I could be wrong, but it would be like trying to use CDMA on a GSM phone, it's not going to happen. But hopefully these new carriers will get Rogers (and other current carriers in Canada) to think twice about their charges, system access fees and stupid long distance crap.

7. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

So is AWS still based off of SIM cards? or is it like CDMA where the phones are locked to the carriers (yes i know its possible to move a CDMA phone its just not easy)

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

im confident the iphone will not support aws because none of apples official carriers use it.

9. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thats rather disappointing as I had high hopes for Globalive. Hopefully Rogers and Fido will lower the prices once globalive goes live. We can hope. As this summer I plan on getting an iPhone once my telus contract is up.

10. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Yes very disappointing. I was really hoping Globalive could help bring rates down. Yet with Rogers/Fido being the only carrier able to run an iPhone, us consumers have no leverage. Even if they remained the exclusive carrier we do not have the possibility of unlocking the phone and threatening to switch nor of Globalive offering us a better deal. This sucks. :(

11. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

its not really globalive's fault, they bought the spectrum they could from the canadian government's auction.

12. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

It could still help us out, because it will push airtime prices down. Normally carriers will be competitive with other carriers offers. So we should be able to get $40 unlimited minutes, and text out of rogers / fido. Then its just a matter of the data plan half. Still cheaper then what it currently works out too.

I was rather disappointed either way, as I was excited about $40 a month for the iPhone. (in theory)