Gloss or Matte Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkinblue613, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Which screen do you prefer?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2011.
  1. Gloss

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Matte

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Okay, so in the event I decide to purchase a Macbook Pro 15"... I would like to know which of you guys like one of the other more and why.

Personally, right now my current MBP has a matte screen. I really like it as it does not reflect anything behind me. Even during the day, unless I'm in direct sunlight.

The gloss, they look pretty sweet but I heard people get headaches or something. Is this true? I've never had one, even my HDTV is "matte", so I can't say from experience.

So is it worth it to upgrade for the matte? I can't believe they're making you pay an extra $135 for it. There should be a standard option too.

Also, I'm looking towards refurbished gear... I'm guessing there is no way to request for a matte screen MBP from the refurbished line?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I personally wouldn't pay the extra for a matte screen. I used to hate the glossy screens, but then I got a MacBook Air which had a glossy screen, and it's not bad, you get used to it quickly.

You can sometimes see a Matte screen in the refurb store but they don't come up often.

3. montom, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

montom macrumors member

Definitely matte for the MBP, since unlike the Air and Macbook, the glossy MBP has a glass layer that makes reflections twice as bright and ten times as annoying.

The colors on the matte are still bright and vivid, no worries there.

Plus with the glass covered MBP it looks like you're seeing everything through a glass window, whereas with matte it's right there in front of you, thus clearer text and overall better usability.

I can't believe they demand $150 just to get matte though. Used to be $50 upgrade to get the matte standard res. Guess they figure if you can afford a leg for the base model, you can give an arm for the screen upgrade.

If there's one saving grace, it's that the hi-res matte will give higher resale value later.

There are matte 15" MBPs in the refurb section though. You just gotta keep your credit card handy and snatch it up as soon as you see it. There are websites and dashboard widgets that let you track new arrivals to the refurb section.

Headaches: yes, I returned mine for that reason. Have a Mac Mini Server now and a matte IPS monitor.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What about the option, I don't care.

I was always in the matte camp for years but then I started using the glossy screened MBP and I find that's fine. So to my point, I'm happy with either.

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

glossy all the way; i hate the white border around the matte screens. it just ruins the looks of the entire laptop IMO

6. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

Same here. The black border looks so much better.
    I have never been bothered with reflections on glossy screens. Windows can be avoided inside, and I don't use laptops outside very often. If I do, I just turn the backlight to max.

7. jazzfish macrumors newbie

To be fair, $100 of that is for the higher-resolution display. Still annoying and cheap, but not /as/ bad.

No way to request, but if you keep an eye on it every so often one pops up.

... like, say, right now:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0J53LL/A?mco=MTgxNDI5MTc

(full disclosure: that's the same model I got, and I'll feel better about paying for the processor bump if other people buy it too :) )

I find that the matte makes it much more usable in situations where I can't control the lighting. On the other hand, the hi-res display is kind of annoying: my eyes aren't the best, so I do a lot of increasing the magnification on various things so I can read them.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I prefer the matte (and voted that way) but can't tolerate the higher resolution screens the Apple requires to go with it. so my recent 15" MBP purchase was the glossy. But, I now own a very high end high-gamut non-glossy monitor for my photography work and am very pleased.

What I look forward to in the years to come is an IPS panel instead of the TN panel so viewing angles will not kill color and brightness.

9. calibrad macrumors member

Glossy...:D

1.Glossy is crystal clear, has better contrast, deeper blacks, and vivid, almost liquid display...absolutely stunning!

2. The glass cover enhances the image and protects the underlying lcd. The glass is adhesive sealed around the black border, thus preventing dust, skin oils, and contaminants from contacting the underlying LCD. Glass is easy to wipe clean vs. wiping directly on the AG LCD surface.

3. The glass increases the stiffness of the lid.

4. The edge-to-edge glass with black border design has a purpose and just looks better!

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Interesting. I love the 1920x1200 high-res on my 17". It is easy to increase font size etc if you need it -- is there something about the new 15" high-res? I haven't used one. People are saying that the new MBA "glossy" really isn't glossy -- perhaps it has a 1/4-wave coating on it? That is kind of glossy, but, helps a huge amount. I guess the MBP glossy is still really glossy. Great if you always work in the dark.

What model do you have? I'm looking for one, but, haven't found anything at the right price.

11. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

if you plan on using your computer in ONE place then get glossy/matte whatever it doesn't matter.

If you EVER plan on using your MBP as a portable get matte.

I have a 13inch MBP and I HATE the glossy glass. I recently purchased an anti-glare film for it. It makes things grainy and honestly takes away some of the image clarity of using my machine. BUT i'm still using the film because the alternative, sitting down in a coffee shop and realizing i've accidentally chosen a seat that is unusable is worse.

Just my opinion...

Also I've checked out the matte option at the apple store and IMHO the quality of the display is just as good as the glossy. I actually think it looks better because I like the silver bezel.

12. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

glossy, gives it more of a rich feel when it comes to images and movies

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

See my signature - the NEC2690. Calibration is critical and requires a calibration device and NEC spectraView II software. This stores the calibration in the monitor not the computer and lets me store several calibrations like one for just printing at 100CD/m2 brightness so prints match perfectly. NEC's are top shelf like LaCie (which are really NEC panels). They are expensive but should outlast at least two computers.

14. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I love the Glossy and don't have much trouble with reflections, but that's just me. I also like the way the black border looks, but some people prefer the silver border (looks like the Air)

15. Prhymeate macrumors member

I prefer matte, I use my parents glossy from time to time and it drives me nuts.

I used to think glossy looked better, even after buying my matte screen, but after a while I've started to think that the matte looks a lot nicer and more uniform.

16. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

And I do think Apple should make a $50 1440-by-900 Antiglare display option available for those who don't want glossy and don't want a 1680-by-1050 display. More choices are better then fewer choices!

17. pyroo macrumors member

I agree, I've owned both, I had the glossy MBP for almost 2 years, I didn't mind it, but than I gave it to my sister for school and purchased one with a hi res matted screen, it is so much better! Now that I've used matted, I can't go back to the glassy MBP, the glare now really annoys me.

18. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

It's sad.. They used to offer that from what I believe. Actually, when I got my MBP, the matte was standard and getting glossy was premium. Kind of funny it switched the other way around now.