Gloss vs Matte screen question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PUD the Ancient, Jul 21, 2010.

1. PUD the Ancient macrumors newbie

Does the matte screen provide the same brightness, contrast and colour performance as the Gloss screen?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

For the most part. Some people say that the gloss screen has more "pop". Gloss definitely gives you deeper blacks.

If you've got access to an apple store they usually have them side by side.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Photo/video editors usually go for glossy because they supposedly have more accurate colors and like the poster above said, the colors pop.

Brightness shouldn't be a problem, either one is plenty bright.

4. PUD the Ancient thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I don't have access to see them side by side but I have seen a gloss 15". I did think as stated it seemed to have a bit of pop.

Looking at getting a 17" I5 but trying to decide screen variety.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

actually it is the other way around, pros usually go for the matte Since it has less glare and more natural colors, plus it is a little brighter and displays whites better, the blacks are better on the glossy.

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Visually, glossy has more impact and class but the trade-off is reflections.

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I'm not sure about professionals nor did I mention pros but from my peers, the problem with matte is that it introduces grain into the picture since glossy is transparent glass while matte naturally has a grainy texture to it. It is unanimous that with bad lighting, glossy is atrocious. But in good lighting, you get a true picture.

Maybe I should be hanging out with the matte loving photographers.

8. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Pros have better blacks, Mattes have better whites.

Both have good brightness, and you have an image on a matte similar to that of a glossy if you use slightly-above-full-brightness.

Also, Matte does not have reflections like the Glossies do.

Finally, the Glossy has a black border while the matte has a palpable white one.

9. RasmusJensen macrumors newbie

RasmusJensen

With colorcalibration of the display and especially working with printing, the matte/anti-glare display is much easier and more precise to work with.

10. ceshimm macrumors member

besides the reflection, people always say glossy for entertainment and matte for professional work. to me i will simply go glossy because of the black border :p

11. PUD the Ancient thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the replies:), it was very helpful.

As this Mac will be purely entertainment and only generally used in the home I think I will go for the Gloss. I can put up with the reflections to gain that bit of extra pop to the image.

12. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Good move, especially if you're gonna be watching movies and stuff on it as the glossy is much more 'TV like' in this scenario. Another plus that nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) is how much easier the gloss screen is to clean. Matte screens are a pain the arse to get proper clean, where as gloss is simple and good as new in seconds.

13. PUD the Ancient thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear as I am a bit OCD about keeping my kit clean;)