Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Batschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Hey !

Does anybody of you know, if there is planed any macbook (NOT a macbook pro) without a glossy display?

Please let me know.

Batschi

Batschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
And a MacBook Pro with a 13" display??? Do you think its planed?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Sounds to me like you're hoping for a more portable notebook that has a matte screen. Welcome to the hopefuls' club :p

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Apple doesn't seem to care about those of us who want matte screens on an MB, as if it were some sort of luxury. :rolleyes: Nevermind the fact that back in the PPC days, ALL the notebooks were matte.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Apple doesn't seem to care about those of us who want matte screens on an MB, as if it were some sort of luxury. :rolleyes: Nevermind the fact that back in the PPC days, ALL the notebooks were matte.

I blame the generic PC market for doing this. Until 2005 or so, matte screens on notebooks were the standard accross all PC makers. Then glossy became popular because customers were bedazzled by the "shiny" quality of the glossy screens :rolleyes:

And then of course the macbooks came out in 06, and the end of the matte screen for consumer notebooks came about. :mad:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I blame the generic PC market for doing this. Until 2005 or so, matte screens on notebooks were the standard accross all PC makers. Then glossy became popular because customers were bedazzled by the "shiny" quality of the glossy screens :rolleyes:

And then of course the macbooks came out in 06, and the end of the matte screen for consumer notebooks came about. :mad:

And those screens are practically unusable for someone like me, who uses his notebook on public transportation daily. The reflections off that screen during the day make it useless. I'm sticking with my iBook G4 until something changes. It seems to handle Leopard OK anyway.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
well until apple gives you an option to choose between glossy and matte you may want to consider those "turn glossy into matte film"
I personally have never tried them but maybe they help a little...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
And those screens are practically unusable for someone like me, who uses his notebook on public transportation daily. The reflections off that screen during the day make it useless. I'm sticking with my iBook G4 until something changes. It seems to handle Leopard OK anyway.

I know how you feel. Being in a lecture hall with overhead lights doesn't advance the cause of the glossy screen any more than public transit. Oh well. For now I've got my mbp in matte, but if a smaller mbp/mb comes out with a matte screen, I might sell off this mbp and go for that. Again, I can dream. :rolleyes:

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I know a few folks who would like a non-glossy on their MacBook.

My cousin who got a MB last Christmas and took it to Europe for 6 months, said he wished the screen was matt simply because in outdoor conditions and street-side cafés, the glossy is truly useless.

And they show fingerprints/smudges far more, so for someone who likes to keep their screens in tip top shape, it's a big disadvantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.