Glossy Displays -- What about "Museum Glass"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fred_garvin, Aug 5, 2010.

1. fred_garvin macrumors regular

Ok, I've seen enough discussion that I have to ask a question that's been in the back of my mind. For reference, I have the late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro 15", glossy display. I also have the 23" cinema display I've had for around 6 years (matte obviously).

Working with iPhoto, iDVD, etc, the glossy is preferable. Working in text editors doing programming, reading webpages, etc the matte is preferable. My experience anyways.

I've had a bunch of prints professionally framed at Aaron Brothers. They offer glass, museum glass (non glare), acrylic, and museum acrylic (in order of increasing price). The acrylic weighs much less and doesn't shatter from a fall.

The difference is striking. The non glare (museum) is very clear, not like the cinema display diffuse image. From a few feet back, there is zero glare. If I move to an angle to find a glare, I can at a sharp angle, and the reflection of the ceiling light has a green tint, but generally, the print looks perfect.

If anyone is knowledgeable about framing, optics, etc, then why couldn't apple use a "museum glass" (or acrylic) sheet on their displays?

2. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

I've been asking myself the same question for 3 years now (since the glossy iMac came out)

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I think they actually want the shininess A) for bling effect (uh it's so shiny! must be expensive!) and B) for the fake visual effect glass gives to the display :(

4. aaarrrgggh macrumors regular

All I know is that my new 27" iMac is going to have to go back to the store if I can't find a museum glass retrofit for it. I did an experiment to see if I could reconfigure my office to reduce glare (not have my back to a window). It actually made things worse!! I can see my face in full detail... The eye strain is amazing!

What the heck was Apple thinking with this design?

5. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

That people like to see shiny things at the Apple store? And buy them?

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

The glass offers superior scratch and stain resistance. No longer must we baby our displays after accidentally sneezing on them or otherwise splattering them with bodily fluids <joke>.

Also, turn up the brightness and the shadow you magically disappears.:D

7. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

@sishaw: Enough people have stated they were willing to pay a (reasonable) premium for a matte finish. Apple can still make shiny things for stock configuration and add matte as a BTO or special edition of the product. It'd make many people happy. :D

@FuNGi: You can't turn up the brightness on the shadow areas of an image. You'll still see your reflection there.

Now, if museum glass really worked, why don't retrofit shops offer it? You could then order a pre-cut, black-bordered piece of glass with magnets attached and some suction cups for DIY, or send your Mac in for a glass replacement if you're afraid to do it yourself.