"Glossy" Graphic effects

kwong2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
How do I make go about to do a "glossy" effect on graphics such as logos, lower-thirds for videos, etc? I want to do something with it, but I don't know how!

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Try posting an example of what effect you are referring to. People will be able to help you a lot easier that way.

hsotnicaM

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Photoshop for starters.
The example you showed is pretty simple. One layer is the logo. The layer above is a simple gradient.
Drop in the logo. Create a layer above it. Use the rectangle marquee tool and draw a rectangle. Select the gradient tool. In the top tool bar you should see a selection for different gradients. ake sure the fill is white and you've select from the top tool bar the gradient with 100 to 0 opacity. Click and drag through the box to fill it with the gradient. If you mess up simply ctrl z and draw it again. If the gradient is too dark then change the opacity. You're done.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
This can also be done in Illustrator, either with a shape overlayed with a gradient, or opacity masked shapes, which give you a bit more flexibility. Try different apps and see what works. I prefer AI, but that's just me :D

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Motion is designed to Animate Graphics not create them from scratch.
You best creating it in photoshop and bringing the graphic in to motion. Motion has great support for .psd