Glossy iMac disappointing, back to waiting...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by atari1356, Aug 7, 2007.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

It's seriously disappointing to me that the new iMac screens are all glossy... I've been waiting for this update, and if it weren't for that - I'd probably order the 24" model this week.

I don't think the glossy screen would work very well since I do a lot of photography as a hobby.

So, I guess I wait for a Mac Pro update now, even though it will be much more expensive and has more power than I need... time to start shopping for an external monitor. :rolleyes:

EDIT: can't imagine editing photos on this:

[​IMG]

2. PharmD macrumors 6502

I can see your concern but will your editing area have that much light surrounding it? It is a brightly lit store.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

There's always going to be light around you unless you live/work in a cave.

Besides, glossy sucks for photo editing because it over-saturates all of the colors. Gives you a false impression of what's there.

4. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

The area where my computer sits is right next to a set of glass doors... and I live in a relatively small townhouse, so I can't do much to rearrange.

Also, my understanding is that the glossy screens show colors brighter and more saturated than they actually are. Doesn't seem like a good way to do any photo editing, or graphic design if you're concerned about color accuracy.

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'm not a very big fan of the new design, although I like it much more than the older ones. As a student I have to say that I love my macbook's glossy display and for me it doesn't detract from the imac. What I want to know is if the new imac is using a desktop Core 2 Duo processor and if so will it be possible to swap it out for a quad core. Mmmmm.....

6. PharmD macrumors 6502

I ask because my desk is in my basement where the only light is from bulbs and a glossy screen wouldn't have the same amount of glare as his picture shows. I guess that falls under "cave" but don't assume that we all have beautiful french door laden offices.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can always get an iMac and an external monitor. With the $20 adapter, it has dual screens. Or a filter, I think 3M makes them. They're sold at places like Staples or Office Depot.

8. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Good point - it is a bit of a turn off... along with that black border for me... :(

9. macflurry macrumors member

Or you can still just get an older mac off of the refurb store, Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive is now just 1099...

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

...or a monitor hood. That would look great! (;

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

If these screens are like the MacBook, then it's going to be really easy to notice a glare when viewed from an angle (like the pictures above), but not-so-much when viewing normally.

12. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

We shall see... I'll head to the Apple store later in the week to check them out in person.

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i pulled the trigger and bought a new one today ... booya

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Glossy only? That is truly disappointing! But now they're matching the Dell displays better! :)

15. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Just get an MBP with an external monitor, an MBP would be better at dealing with photography than an iMac (from what I have read), the MBP has a much better video card than the new iMac, and the MBP is portable and can be made into a desktop if that is what you are trying to get

16. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Glossy 24" sealed the deal for me...

...I'll be getting a Mac Pro. :(

17. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

In over a year of usage of a Glossy Macbook, I have never *once* noticed a glare or reflection in any way that could be considered detrimental.

I use the Macbook regularly for photo/image editing and web design/programming. Haven't noticed *once*.

I am sure if I wanted to set up conditions if the glare was bad, and take pictures to post here, I could. But in real usage, it is a non-factor.

18. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I have a glossy MBP and I've never noticed any reflections. The screen is suitable enough for amateur photo editing -- I use it for my company's publications and catalogs and I've never had any issues.

I did get the chance to compare it with a Matte MBP (I used to own a Matte Powerbook) and think if I had the choice I'd go with a Matte display again, just because it's a bit easier on the eyes. But Glossy looks sharper and has its own advantages.

Side by side, the glossy vs. matte were pretty hard to tell apart, unless you were looking. We switched macs accidentally during the middle of an Ableton jam and I didn't notice any difference until I turned his Mac off (oh this is your laptop).

19. nubero macrumors regular

Me too... looks like they are more and more becoming a Mickey Mouse Company... that's what rising market share does to you I guess...

www.nubero.ch

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Oh for God's sake, there's obviously the mother of all light sources behind you.

Yes, you have to be a little more careful about how you position a glossy display, but it's entirely possible to have zero reflections. I'm sat here on my glossy MBP, sideways on to a window, with none whatsoever - just a beautiful display and rich colours.

:rolleyes:

21. bartelby macrumors Core

But, if you're sensible about these things. You won't have anything to whinge about!:)

22. stevo1 macrumors member

Precisely. And that's what all the supporters of the glossy screen are missing.

I can accept and adjust to the added reflection if I have to.
    The drop in colour accuracy however, I cannot.

Not all graphics professionals need or can afford a Pro, or will realistically make the most of its specs. There are still quite a lot of us (perhaps more than Apple realises) who rely on an iMac, regardless of its intended market position as a consumer machine. For a while now, it's been the closest thing to an affordable mid-range desktop that Apple produces, and for smaller businesses or freelance designers/artists, it's been invaluable.

Imposing a glossy screen has effectively ruled it out as an option for many of these people for whom the previous iMac was adequate. I'm willing to concede that it may be a sound financial decision on Apple's part, (gaining more consumer users than the number of pro users they lose) but it's just annoying if you happen to be in that group that now has to compromise on a different machine.

(Especially when you've waited the best part of a year for it!)

23. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hmm, this is true... Let the sensationalism continue! :D

24. nubero macrumors regular

This is exactly right. Thanks stevo1 for that comment. I'm just affraid no one will listen *sigh*