Glossy macbook screen is useless

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lintott, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Lintott macrumors newbie

Just got my new alu macbook this weekend and the glossy screen is driving me nuts. While the colors are amazing I basically have to sit in a half dark room with no bright area behind me if I do not want to see reflections of myself of other things on the screen. In a normal room at daylight there are loads of reflections on the screen. I have a couple of years old Macbook Pro with a matte screen and this one I have no such problems.

Very annoying since I intend to use the macbook for travelling and in coffee shops, airports etc. where there usually are lights everywhere. Aside from being very annoying and disctracting, I also feel my eyes get more tired after a few hours reading on the web on the glossy screen with all the reflections.

Some guys seem to like their glossy screens though. Will I get used to the glossy screen???? Seems ridiculous to have a screen which shows things you do not want.

Except for the screen the machine rocks. It is very quick and the new gestures on the mousepad is very useful.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just what we needed, another glossy screen thread. :rolleyes:

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Steve says he made them glossy so you won't use your computer at airports and coffee shops. He says you should be taking in the experience rather than having your head in a computer. Ok ok, I said that. :p

Seriously though, why the hell would you travel and have your computer out? Unless your using it for work or to get information, dude enjoy the experience and if you didn't use it at a coffee shop you might actually meet people. Haha

Flame suit on!

5. testie macrumors newbie

I haven't got my MB yet but i really hope i don't will be as annoyed as you are, because i too will use my notebook "on the run" and I'm aslo a musician and will use it at live performances ect.

6. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I agree totally useless with a glass screen. What a waste. :mad:

7. aue-t19a macrumors newbie

I would even say that it is a damn expensive pocketmirror and i´m really pissed about apples decision to kick all their pro user in their butts. :mad:

while i was thinking about starting a community called "artist against fancy computers" i found this online petition you might want to sign.

"Matte display for MacBook"

hosted on the web by our free online petition service, at:
    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/38djhak2/

There is a "firewire400" petition as well to speak about more "major bugs"

I´m still looking in a matte Future

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

Maybe it's all just cutting costs and profit (duh)

Standardize the line-eliminate variation. They calculate 75% ordered the glossy so to bad for the other 25% because if they lose half of that group they still come out ahead due to consolidation.

Then make the whole thing out of basically one part (Uni-body) to cut further.

Meanwhile sell this to the consumer as great innovation and ecology (didn't I hear them say they start with a big chunk of material and throw away the rest?..OH yes the box :rolleyes: )

then tell them they want all this cuz it's cool just like Apple is cool

Oh yes BTW, are they using the cheapest screens money can buy for their entry level notebooks?

thanks

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Is that a joke or sarcasm or something? :confused:

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

I haven't any idea :D

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

Mind you I buy every single thing Apple sells and then sometimes two.

Cuz I do want to be cool

Who doesn't? :D

12. onesixeight macrumors member

I've had my "glassbook" for a week now and the one thing that drives me nuts in the reflections coming from the glass.

I refer to the glass because I've had other glossy offerings from Apple including a 15" MBP and most recently a MBA, and this is by far the worst glossy screen I've used to date. Glossy is fine to me, but "Glassy" is not.

The glare from the ambient lighting and fixtures around the office give me a headache and are distracting.

People continue to complain about another glossy thread, but I think the fact that so many are turning up is a vote from Apple's most loyal customers that they need to reconsider their decision.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

if enough people vote with their wallets it will eventually take effect. But the economy clouds the issue presently

(ok so i'm posting like crazy-i'll stop now)

14. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

i guess since my last laptop was glossy i really dont notice...

only big difference between the 2 is this one doesnt suck and my vista laptop did.
    :D

15. Adamo macrumors 6502

I like glossy, it looks clearer.. and, well, I don't get any problems with reflections.

Also, if you're looking at the screen, reading for a few hours and getting headaches.. you either need an eye test or need to take one or two of your recommended breaks (from sitting in front of a computer screen too long).

16. eGraeme macrumors member

i buy 3 of everything
    so i can stay ahead of the macjones'
    did anyone else say this yet.. i stopped reading
    lol

17. timestoby macrumors 6502

dont they make screen protectors that will stick to the screen to have a matte look

18. ChrisA macrumors G4

Those anti-glare coating are expensive. Apple saves a few bucks on each notebook. I'll wait a long time if I have to but I'll not buy a glossy screen Mac

19. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I don't think they've been made for the new models yet, as the whole screen area including the bezel is covered in a single piece of glass which is different from previous models.

20. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I was sitting near a window with the sun on me and still didn't see myself in the screen. I am in a moderately lit room with a 50" TV pouring pure white light on myself (a windows explorer window), and I can't even catch a glimpse of myself in my screen until i turn down my screen brightness to 3 bars.

I don't get it.

21. timestoby macrumors 6502

but you could look on ebay for ones that support pc screens with 17 or 15' and then just trim to go over the screen area and just have the black be reflective.it would be an idea for the time being until something else comes along.

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I personally don't find the glossiness that much of a distraction.

23. Adamo macrumors 6502

Do they not leave a residue behind?

24. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh