Glossy MBP Penryn early-08 vs MBP Unibody screen? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jan 9, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I see that I can still get the early MBP glossy version at a good price.
    I have seen the screen on the Unibody MBP and it is really sharp but really really reflective.
    I have not seen a glossy version of the early MBP so for those of you that have how do they compare?
    Also, how does that one compare to the screen on the Macbook Air which I feel is the best screen Apple has on any laptop, at least the rev A version.

Thanks

2. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody has glossy early -08 Penryn MBP?

Hoping someone can answer...

Thanks

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

I think the earlier MBP's glossy screen is less glossy than the unibody's. It's not easy to tell that the older one is glossy in most normal conditions..

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Older ones are less grossy then the newer ones.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Correct. The glass on the unibody is much smoother and reflective in certain light conditions. I still love glossy, regardless.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I have a early 08 MBP 15. I didnt want a glossy, my dad ended up ordering it instead of me b/c i was busy and didnt wanna order it off of school wi-fi. So anyway he ordered it with a glossy. But as soon as i started using it i couldnt even tell it was glossy. Its got a great picture, and its got a bright enough screen for highly lit rooms.

7. jon08 macrumors 65816

I also have a glossy previous gen. MBP 2.5 Ghz. It is true that you hardly notice that it's glossy! But I am not sure how the picture itself compares to the new glAssy screen. The only thing certain is that you get a lot more reflection from the new one.

Here's a comparison of the previous gen. MBP vs. the new one:

[​IMG]

And here's a link to the entire "review": http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=5

8. lordthistle macrumors 6502

On the new glossy display you cannot work if light conditions are not perfect. I still wonder how they could even think about such a horrible display.

This display is wonderful if you can work in low-light environments, but in all the other cases it is simply the stupidest display you can work on.

Look at the attached picture (screen brightness set to max) and try to imagine what it would be with a darker background...

thistle

Attached Files: