Glossy MBP screen - cleaning solutions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddiogyn, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ddiogyn macrumors member

Hallo,

Is the MBP screen plain unadulterated glass, or does it have a special coating?

Should i use isopropanol, or the cheaper ethanol, to clean it?

Thanks.

2. celticpride678

iKlear is the cleaning solution that works best with Apple displays.

3. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

Too expensive - 227ml iKlear costs £20, whereas 1000ml isopropanol costs £10! And ethanol i can siphon off at school...

What does iKlear actually contain?

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I just use distilled water, but occasionally use 50% isopropanol made from pure isopropanol diluted with distilled water.

I would not recommend ethanol because most ethanol is denatured which has all kinds of additives in it to prevent drinking, which may not be ideal for cleaning purposes. Pure undenautred ethanol is too expensive due to liquor taxes.

Ruahrc

5. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

Do you find that distilled water alone is sufficient to remove oily fingerprints etc with ease?

I have access to pharmaceutical grade ethanol, which we use for experiments and sterilising lab equipment.

So 50% alcohol is safe to use then, doesn't cause loss of lustre?

6. trungthiendo macrumors regular

use warm/hot water with bounty paper towels, soak 2 pieces and rinse out the water so the paper towels are just damp. Wipe your screen, then use a microfiber cloth and wipe dry...done works wonders

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It works and it lasts 3-4 months if you're using it correctly. The end is your computer looks good and everyone's happy. £20/$35 for a pack isn't that bad at all. If you figure half a quid a day, that's practically loose change!

8. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

I've tried 80% ethanol and it works a treat, easily removes greasy fingerprints and evaporates quickly without residue = no buffing required. The screen is left shiny so it doesn't appear to be stripping the screen coating (if indeed the glass is coated with anything). Isopropanol is much the same and is fairly widely available.

Does anybody know what iKlear actually contains? The only info i can find online is that it contains neither alcohol nor ammonia(!).