Glossy or Anti-Glare for Photo Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkhan456, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tkhan456 macrumors member

So I'm going to be getting a new 15" MBP pretty soon but I have a question for the photo people out there. Would it be better to get the hi-res glossy or hi-res antiglare? From what I've noticed and heard, the anti-glare makes colors a little bit more dull, however the glare on the glossy is rather annoying when trying to view pictures for editing at times. If you're into photography and photo editing, your advice is much appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. bastienvans macrumors member

This has been discussed 10000x already.

AG is the way to go for photographers.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

If you're really into photography, you'll be using a separate screen with an IPS panel. Difference between Anti-glare and Glossy isn't as much as going from a TN panel -> IPS.

4. Derango macrumors regular

It's a lot easier to match colors on the screen to the colors on prints when you use an anti-glare screen.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Very true, but I find that the TN panels always have color shifting which is very easy to see when watching video with dark scenes.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Thats a myth ^

7. Derango macrumors regular

It's not a myth.

Display calibration on glossy screen can give you wildly inaccurate results. It's not totally impossible to do, but it's MUCH MUCH harder to get consistent results.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

^over-exageration alert!

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Simply not true. I've calibrated both and it can be done with about the same effort. Back before we had these new fangled laptop, we did this with desktops and Sony trinitron monitors. Guess what? Those monitors were glossy, as were all monitors up until LCDs got good enough.

This myth about glossy being inaccurate on this forum is just ridiculous.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I think antiglare is best for photographers due to the fact to edit photo's you wont have to fight the glare by moving back and forth across the screen to see the different angles. But as others have said with an external IPS monitor it doesn't matter as that is where you'll get the real benefit.

11. keithano macrumors member

I would say depends on the environment. I am a photographer myself, and I have to go out on-location for different jobs occasionally. I found the AR screen would come in handy when I need to go out to different places. However, if you always stay in-house without some crazy lighting, it is also possible to generate close-to-prints color with the glossy screen.

12. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I'm by no means a photographer, its just a hobby for me, but I'll never go back to a matte screen. Photos and video are so dull and lifeless on a matte screen, and in my opinion a glossy screen is a far better representation of what your photos would look like printed. If I were using a matte screen, I would likely give my photos too much contrast and vibrance to compensate for what I was seeing on screen.

As far as using your laptop in the field while shooting, its not like a matte screen holds up well under daylight either, and with either glossy or matte you might even need one of these if you can't find a dark spot nearby.