Glossy or Antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bearsalley34, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bearsalley34 macrumors member

Just wondering what people prefer between the hi res glossy or the hi res antiglare screen for the 15 inch MBP.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's all about personal preference. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

While I don't have the high resolution screen on my MacBook Pro I do prefer the glossy finish, it just looks better to me.

Your best bet would be to look at both of them side by side in person and compare them, it's the best way to get an accurate idea of which one you like more.

4. AML225 macrumors regular

I just went through the same dilemma. My 2006 MBP was matte (only choice at the time). I went hi-res glossy for my (yet to be delivered) 2011 MBP. When I'm doing any kind of work where a glare would be unacceptable I'm using an external monitor. That being said I only chose glossy because I have never had it before and some people love it. I'll post back here when my MBP is delivered with my impressions of the gloss.

5. djosiris macrumors newbie

Anti-glare was a no-brainer for me. It would be unacceptable for me to purchase a laptop of this caliber and not effectively be able to use it outside or always worry about avoiding glare. I never want to do my work and see my own face all day.

I would suggest making a trip to an Apple store. You will be able to make your decision one way or the other very quickly.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Just as everyone said above, it's all personal preference.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The pros and cons of one over the other are subjective.

Buy what you prefer.

I mean, if everyone said Glossy would you buy Glossy even if you did not like it.

On the other hand if you did a SEARCH on the subject, I bet you'd find a poll or two, or six on the subject! ;)

8. Kleptomaniac macrumors newbie

It depends on your preference and what your daily routine is like. Do you spend most of your time inside or outside and can you usually control the lighting in your environment? I won't lie glossy can be annoying outside but the screen really is beautiful otherwise.

9. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

One thing to consider:

MacBook Pro 15" Glossy, 5.6lbs.
    MacBook Pro 15" Anti-Glare, 5.2lbs.

Glass is heavy. Heavier than marble for a given volume.

I love my (hi-res) glossy display though, and have had no issues with it in many a conference room and data center (all very heavily lit, including panorama windows in skyscrapers).

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

it's personal preference really, but to give my take. I have a 13" MBP at work and sit with a window directly behind me (I have a corner desk). I have to make sure the 13" is at right angles to the window, whereas I can put my 15" MBP anywhere on my desk without worrying about reflections.

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I didn't know there was a weight different. But it makes sense, i just never thought about it.

12. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

AG rocks. Well worth the upgrade price.

That is all.

13. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

the extra pixels are definitely worth it, it's down to you whether you go glossy or not.

14. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

After many years of matte screens I bought the 2009 off the shelf MBP in 2009. I've just bought a 15" antiglare and it's such a luxury to go back to a matte screen again. I didn't realize it at the time but now that the reflections are gone, my eyes feel less fatigue looking at the new screen.

15. bearsalley34 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the quick replies. Im definitely going to the Apple store to compare before I buy, but I am leaning toward the antiglare. Just one more question. For the 2.0 ghz 15 inch mbp, is it easy or even possible to upgrade the RAM yourself, meaning not through Apple?

16. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Yes, you can upgrade the memory in the 15-inch MacBook Pro by removing the bottom panel. Instructions for performing a memory upgrade are available in the MacBook Pro manual or from Apple's support website.

17. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

18. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

Glossy if you're graphic designer, editor, otherwise go for matte. :p

19. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Not that it really matters for the laptop lineup, because they're still only TN panels.

20. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

I've used both. I prefer anti-glare for everything. I hate hate hate glare from lighting, seeing my face in the reflection and dust & fingerprints.

With an antiglare screen, I can just use my computer. I don't have to fight with proper angling of the screen or myself to avoid distracting glares and reflections.

I recently had to send my 17" off for repair, and I used a new 15" with a glossy screen for work instead. Man, what a miserable week.

21. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

I know, I do understand what you mean, but current TN screens on MBP so nice and bright, I cannot see big difference, anyways I would take Glossy.
    At work, I have some guys with glossy and matte and matte colours kinda wash out to me and yellowish, if you Okay with that, you can use matte, but I just cannot accept it. This is already big credit for TN matrix, but I cannot do matte, colors gonna be sucks!