Glossy or matte display on 17" MBP??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deep diver, Jan 17, 2008.

1. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I have decided to defenestrate (de-window) and will be getting a 17" MBP. I am doing a lot of art photography and will be getting the high res screen. The question is: glossy or matte. I have asked a couple of people I know and opinions are mixed. What do y'all think?

2. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I have always loved the Glossy Screens. They just seem so much more vibrant. I think most here like the Matt for some reason though. I am jealous either way. I hope to get one one day soon but we have more pressing problems now and a new lap top isn't one of them.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you have a store near you. I would visit it and see what ones you like..

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I would have said matte without question a year ago, but my MB and 24" iMac have made me see that the richness of color on the glossy is excellent, as opposed to my MBP (matte) and Dell (matte) displays.

That said, a lot of the pros here still say matte is better for them. As an art photographer, then, you're probably well advised to go for matte.

That said, the laptop screens aren't exactly going to be spot-on for color fidelity anyway, so I suggest you go look for yourself. People harp on glare as an issue for glossy screens. I've never noticed it at all.

5. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

I use a MB Pro with the matte screen. It's great and I'm pleased with it. The colors on the matte screen are quite good, and any greater clarity or vividness with the glossy screen doesn't seem to be worth it to me when considered along with the reflections.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Glossy. I've had both, and the glossy, IMO, is better looking. Glare has never been an issue.

7. thinkband macrumors regular

I do not know about you guyz but the glare is even extremely evident in the apple store. True, the glossy is brighter, but glare is not fun.

I still am not sure which I like better, my matte lcd screen or glossy laptop :(