Glossy or matte for videography?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lkjnw31, Feb 26, 2011.

1. lkjnw31 macrumors newbie

I plan on going to college for videography and would like some insight from those that are in the field. I'm going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro and the only thing I'm unsure about is what screen to purchase. I've searched a ton on the subject already but still can't come to a conclusion. Supposedly matte is better for color accuracy but all I could find is those talking about print media and not so much to do with video. I also know that glossy offers better contrast which is why it's still a toss up for me. I would really like to have some more opinions on the subject in regards to video editing.

Please don't link me to other threads unless they are specific to video as chances are that I've already read them.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Personally Id get the Matte and add a Glossy later as an external if you need it (I have a 27" Cinema as well as a smaller Matte display on my Mac Pro, and for Final Cut I use the glossy screen, and for Color I use the Matte one - color grading on a glossy screen isnt great)

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I personally hate the glossy screens, MATTE = no reflections and can be used pretty much everywhere, glossy , looks pretty when switched off, pretty much the only + for glossy i have found so far.

4. lkjnw31, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

lkjnw31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to go with the matte. Hope I made the right choice.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I would say it depends on the lighting for the gloss - it can be annoying at times. I think you made the right choice, you can't go wrong with a matte screen! [​IMG]