Glossy or Matte - How To Work Out Which One It Is

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zagreus, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

Hi, this might sound a bit strange but I hope someone on here may be able to help me, I've placed my 2007 MacBook Pro for sale but I've recently had enquiries from a buyer with a question that I can't answer in that of whether the screen is Glossy or Matte. Now I never realised there were two options thinking it was a more recent development in the product line but after some research I discovered that it was an option when the machine was purchased. The only problem is that I brought it second hand and no information was included to enable me to work out this detail, so is there a visual analysis I could perform or are there any images I could post so that people would be able to work out which type of screen I have?

The model of MBP is the Mid/Late 2007, Merom Based 17" MacBook Pro with the Hi-Res Screen outputting at 1900 x 1200.

I can post pictures of the laptop if it's necessary/will help

2. un.titled macrumors regular

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Is the screen completely clear and is the outside piano black reflective?

4. Zagreus thread starter macrumors member

Zagreus

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed

5. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I know the more recent models use a silver border (as shown in un.titled's post) for the matte screen (because the glossy uses glass to hold up the LED display, they use a silver frame to support it in place of the glass sheet) I believe this applies to the 2007 17" MBP, but someone may need to correct me (or confirm)

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

All of the Santa Rosa / Merom models were matte. The screen on the right hand side in your photo is a matte display, the one on the left is glossy.

Hope this helps.
    -Ward

7. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

8. Cool Runnings, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Cool Runnings macrumors regular

No, glossy was an option.

And i don't know why someone have pictures of the unibody when it's clear that it's the previous model.

The easy way to tell the difference is with a lamp/flashlight or a window in daylight/sun. Does it blend the screen, matte, get a glare/reflection, glossy.

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There were no Glossy models of the 2007 MacBook Pros. Glossy didn't become an option until 2008.

10. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Mactracker don't agree...

Attached Files:

11. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Just saw that it was the Mid/Late 2007 17" MBP the OP had. But still the same according to mactracker.

Attached Files: