Glossy or Matte?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pterodactyl, Jan 20, 2008.

1. pterodactyl macrumors newbie

I am purchasing my first macbook pro and have a simple cosmetic question: Glossy or matte screen?

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

well always loved glossy and bought a MBP Matte, ended up selling it and bought a glossy :)

3. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

I've had both. I prefer the matter better. The glossy is just well, too glossy in certain lighting conditions.

4. aosman macrumors 6502

Its personal preference. I go glossy (I wanted to switch it up since I had pbg4 that was matte)

5. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Matte, no glossy.

Glare is a big factor on glossy screens. Use matte.

6. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

i prefer a matte screen

however i can see why everythign is going glossy screen now
    it has a more vivid color and better contrast

but it depends on your work enviroment.. glossy screen sucks when theres alot of lights behind you cause it starts reflecting everything

but if your in a nice dark room the glossy screen looks nice

7. BIK macrumors member

BIK

Glossy

better color and contrast

only a problem in outdoor lighting

8. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

If you're working or studying print/web design or anything else where colour matching is important then go with matte.. Otherwise it's simply a matter of preference; glare (glossy) or less colour-saturation (matte).

9. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Wouldn't you like... use a real screen from say... Eizo or NEC if you were doing anything that required a good LCD? ;)

10. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I had the same concerns as you do and finally went matte. I figure my MBP for the sake of portability couldn't enable me to control lightsources. If I wanted to get a better image I would hook it up to my larger monitor at home.

11. ValientHimself macrumors member

I've had a matte powerbook, and a glossy macbook. Go matte. The glossy on my macbook is such a pain in the ass to clean. The screen on my powerbook was always so much easier to get clean.

12. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I always associate glossy with Vista laptops. I don't know what else to say other than that.

13. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

14. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

matte

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

As usual the topic will call upon all sorts of supporters for each screen type. Soon the "Photographers" that claim to be "color critical" will be here explaining why they can't use a glossy screen to color correct their images, those that DO know how to edit will laugh our butts off at the inexperience.

Either way I say go with glossy if you want the best looking monitor you can get. It a good looking display is not at the top of your list go with matte. I have a glossy MBP right now and love it. I would get another glossy display any day of the week and in future version if I was just living my digital life on the machine. My next book will be a matte though... just to see what it would be like on a 17" MBP. If I don't see any advantage to having a matte display, or if it looks too dull then I will send it back and get a glossy.

16. pterodactyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I think I will be doing a majority of my work indoors so the sunlight/glare issue won't be much of a problem. I just visited the apple store and i'm sticking with glossy ;) thanks for the input

17. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

Glossy will quickly become dirty, especially in dusty environments. If the MacBook were offered with a matte screen, I would have opted for matte.

18. UK-sHaDoW macrumors newbie

I like good glossy screens. I've seen some bad glossy screens. Although I never use my laptop outside, never had the need.

But really its personal preference.

19. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I don't like glossy that much. I just hate how dirty it gets and how I can see myself all the time...its like a mirror. Matte is the the way to go for me.

20. Arkbargle macrumors member

If you're working on it for any extended period of time or working on large amounts of text (i.e. coding or writing), go with matte. The glossy screen just introduces eyestrain, even with good lighting conditions.

21. pterodactyl thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont understand how it strains your eyes, isn't glossy supposed to have clearer color, text, etc? Im going to be running Final Cut, Photoshop, and InDesign. Is anyone out there that uses these programs that is satisfied with their glossy screen?

22. a4abt macrumors regular

x2

My previous notebooks had a matte screen and I decided to go with a glossy screen on my MBP. The difference if simply incredible, colors seem to be better and brightness is also improved. That's my personal opinion.

However, glossy screens are more "reflective", when watching a movie that has dark scenes, the screens reflects yourself. No big deal for me, but some might find that annoying. I'd suggest you go to an Apple store and compare both screen types.

23. Arkbargle macrumors member

They have more saturated colors, and it reduces the 'screen door' effect that plagues matte screens (though high quality matte screens, like those in Macbook Pros, don't suffer from this as noticeably). Many people dislike glossies with image/video editing as the image is over-saturated, although others like the aesthetics of the effect.

The eyestrain is the biggest issue. Again, even with perfect lighting you'll get glare, and if you turn off all lights it'll be bright and unpleasant to look at. I can't code on a glossy screen without my eyes hurting after less than an hour. If you're using it more casually you may not notice, though.

24. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

What Do you Prefer, I like gloss, it looks rather crisp to me.