Glossy or no glossy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mm1250, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I just bought a MBP online that is glossy display. I wanted to know if the non-glossy was better or there are any cons going with the glossy display? I have about 7 days to change the order, so I am now wondering if I made the right choice.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In the design industry, glossy is not liked as it oversaturates images. If you're outside in sunny parks etc. a lot, glossy isn't nice, as the screen is not that clear in sunlight (although the new LEDs are so bright I've heard it doesn't matter) :)

3. BennyK macrumors 6502

It is personal preference but I prefer glossy.

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Try a search of the forums. About a zillion posts will indicate pros and cons of each, but when it comes down to it, it's personal preference.

5. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I think the images look a little nicer on glossy but I absolutely hate the reflections you get with them. Drives me nuts it does.

6. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I have both types of displays and if I only could have one I would go for the glossy. :D

7. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

why?

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Glossy looks really nice, and if you have some kind of glare hitting the monitor, it's not that bad really. But yeah I can totally understand why some people would hate it (especially if you work in some kind of design industry). For me personally though it's not a big deal.

9. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Eye Sore?

So Ive searched these threads for a while now...
    Does anyone know if there is a difference on the eyes between glossy or matte.
    I remember my old CRT screen gave me headaches after many hours viewing, and I haven't had that problem with LCD matte screens.

10. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

The glossy is better for displaying images since it makes the colors more vibrant (IMO). It also is better to show black than on a matte finish. However the matte finish is better for glare reasons (if you ever use your laptop in such conditions which I dont). I think glossy is better but it seems many perfer otherwise. A good test is the fact that many laptop makers use glossy for "entertainment" geared laptops and matte finish for "business" laptops.

11. Mundy macrumors regular

To each his own. My MacBook is glossy, but I prefer a matte screen. I like my colors a little more realistic than glossy screens can render. Not to mention the fact that glossy screens both scratch and show fingerprints more easily than matte screens.

But there is nothing wrong with glossy if you prefer it. This is an area where one option is not inherently better than another.

12. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

does it make a difference to reading text?

does glossy or matte make a difference to how easy it is to read small text?

13. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook and I love the Glossy screen. I have it on my PC notebook as well. I wouldn't go back to using a matte screen, but I can understand why someone people still want matte. I don't find it hard on the eyes either.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Matte all the way for me. I can't stand the glossy screens I set up for customers.

15. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Matte! Because otherwise, this is what I'd look like: :cool:

16. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I like matte. I never have problems with it. Glossy, on the other hand, is annoying for me for two reasons. For one, the glare is unbearable. Second, the screen gets dirtier easier. I have to wipe my Macbook screen ever 10 minutes or so, and if you touch it with bare hands, it leaves horrible smudge makrs to have to wipe off with some kind of cloth.

17. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

dammit im driving to the store right now
    ive wasted more hours reading about this than it would have taken me to go to the store
    im an idiot

18. emac82 macrumors 6502

Why do you touch your screen? It isn't a touch screen. :confused::confused:

19. dreamsandart macrumors member

I got a new MB Pro with a non-glossy matte screen. It was a real toss-up what to order, both have their advantages. The glossy looks great as long as there are no reflections, but this happens only in ideal situations ( the keyboard can even show up in the bottom part of the screen in a darker room if the angle is right ). What I saw in opinions was about a 50/50 split , and although the matte screen was liked in general by everyone, the glossy was really disliked by a good percentage.

Apple is one of the few companies ( only ? ) that offer a matte screen, for those that want a matte screen its a big plus. With a 17" there is even more area for those reflections so I am happy with my matte.

20. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Matte. I can't stand the glossy screen on my MB(which BTW is for sale, check the marketplace ;))

21. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Non-Glossy

My MBP is non-glossy and has the best image of any computer that I have ever owned (and I have had many). However I've seen some images on glossy screens that are just outstanding. I could learn to love a glossy screen.

Neil

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I had never noticed how much my CRT strained my eyes until I got my first matte LCD. I would never go glossy.

23. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

just ordered 17" mbp matte hd

went to the store to compare matte and glossy after many hours reading opinions, pros and cons
    the glare factor on the glossy screen was really hideous, it seemed to reflect something no matter what angle i put it on
    also, the screens were grubby with finger marks
    the colours were remarkably more contrasted on the gloss and the blacks were deeper
    i really did want to buy a gloss because i like the contrast in colour as i use photoshop and iphoto and idvd a lot
    but the glare and mirror was just way to distracting

24. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

i own a new Alu 20" iMac and i personally haven't experienced this "hideous" glare that everyone claims the glossy screens to produce, i have a window almost directly in front of it, a lamp on the desk and a light on the ceiling and still have no glare, its all down to what you prefer though don't let people here put you off the glossy screen if you thought it was fine

25. robPOD macrumors 6502