Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but...well... not by me. Anyway, for those who followed my saga with the broken Pbook 1.67 etc, Apple replaced my computer with a MacBook Pro. They were even kind enough to ask me what kind of computer I wanted, I said, I wanted a 2.16ghz/120gb/glossy screened MBP, and they said sure. I just got it yesterday. It's 2.16ghz, the hard drive is upgrade, but it's the 100gb 7200rpm model, and not the 120gb model - which I'm actually fine with. But the screen isn't glossy, which is something I was really looking forward to. As it is, I'm entitled to send it back AGAIN. But I'm getting sick of not having a computer. Is the glossy screen really that much better or worse?

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Is there a Apple store near you? Maybe you could go see for yourself? I think this is just a matter of opinion, so even if someone likes it, you may hate it.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I could be wrong, but I believe that only the regular MacBook comes with a glossy screen, not the MacBook Pro. So if you want a MacBook Pro, there's no sense in sending it back to get a glossy screen because they don't make them with glossy screens.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Macaddicttt said:
I could be wrong, but I believe that only the regular MacBook comes with a glossy screen, not the MacBook Pro. So if you want a MacBook Pro, there's no sense in sending it back to get a glossy screen because they don't make them with glossy screens.
Glossy screens are available as CTO options on the MBPs, but are the only choice for MBs.

B

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
Macaddicttt said:

it is offered as a BTO option when purchasing MBP's. Check the store out online.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
It's a build to order option on the MBP.

I would stick with what you've got. If you're going any graphics work in particular or maybe using Photoshop you should stick to a non-glossy screen anyway.

I have used one in the store only so I have to admit, I don't have the best knowledge in this arena but I don't like reflections and I think on a pro product you'll want to be able to see the screen all the time!!

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
When pondering my future MBP purchase I often wonder whether the glossy screen is a good idea or not. I probably wont be able to make the decision until the day I buy it (most likely next January).

But what I want to know is, what was wrong with yr Powerbook that they replaced it with a MBP and how can i make it happen to mine haha.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Trio - look at my previous posts if you want to find out what apple did to my computer. That being said, the original point of the post was, do people have opinions on the glossy screen vs. regular?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Shacklebolt said:
Trio - look at my previous posts if you want to find out what apple did to my computer. That being said, the original point of the post was, do people have opinions on the glossy screen vs. regular?

Regular is so much better, on glossy the colours look richer but less realistic IMO, this is from looking at a MB and MBP next to each other in an Apple Store.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I cannot stand glossy screened laptops. Probably because I have to use it at work and home. Home is no problem since we have soft lighting. At work however, glossy screens are horrible. I physically have to move my head around so that the reflections of the lights move away from what I am trying to read/type. Mirrors are great for shaving, not for computing.

alec

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Washington DC
I just purchased a MacBook and I really enjoy the glossy screen. I haven't had problems with glare or reflection and the colors are very nice. But honestly, it seems to be a person by person decision (a lot of people are like me, and a lot of people also hate them) -- so go into the Apple store and give them a look yourself.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't have a problem with either one, I like the colors on the glossy screen (I don't have any need for extremely accurate colors), but I also haven't walked around with one for a day.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
honestly, i can't tell the difference when the screen is on. when its off its shinier but who cares. sometimes though, the light behind me gives off glare but it isnt annoying cause you just move and you no longer see it. i wouldnt exchange it just for the glossy screen but i would for the extra 20GB

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I prefer matte screens, but my wife's MacBook is fine. It depends on where it's placed, and she usually works with it facing away from the window, with no lights behind her. In that position, it's hard to tell that it's glossy - there are no reflections.

In comparison with something that most people have, it less reflective than a TV screen. My TV (a three year old Sony) is very reflective even with no lights directly on it, with my Irish skin showing up as a glowing white blob whenever the background is darker than pure white. Sitting in front of her MacBook, I don't show up at all.

Hobodale

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
I have had my macbook for a little over a week and I absolutely love the glossy screen! The glare is hardly noticable when you are actually using it even with bright lighting, sure if you stand there and compare the two screens the glossy will have more of a glare but the display is far superior in all other aspects in my opinion and the sharpness and colors are amazing! I was at an applestore the other day and I honestly think the matte displays look a lot cheaper and are nowhere near as sharp(they appear fuzzy). These of course are just my opinion and I agree with everyone else that you should go check them out for yourself.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
just to throw this out there: it's been said in other threads that apple's glossy screens also had an extra anti-glare coating applied, unlike most of the pc glossies. now, i'm sure you can still certainly expect reflections, but if the coating is true, perhaps they're not as bad as most?

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Yes, ask Apple to send you glossy screen machine. You paid enough for it and should get what you asked for.

BTW, after trying a glossy screen laptop for a few months, I decided that I never went to use a matte screen one again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.